No stove but working on my stash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sumpnz

May 16, 2011
Skagit County, WA
I hope to maybe be able to get a stove in a couple years. Maybe sooner if I can get a substantial promotion with a commensurate raise.

Anyway, I have almost 5 acres. Most is wooded (probably 3-3.5 acres) in a mix of alder, big leaf maple, birch, hemlock, cedar, and cottonwood. Been trying to eliminate the cottonwoods and actually found someone to buy logs from them, and yes I was totally honest about what they were getting. Only got a few of those trees left, but they're huge (100' tall). Lots of the other wood I've cleared out was sold on Craigslist to fund my fishing adventures. Probably moved a dozen cords over the last few years.

Anyway, cut down a large big leaf maple back in the spring. Finally got around to bucking it. Well, got started bucking it anyway. First three rounds took quite a while to cut off the trunk. Bet I'll get a cord or more out of that one tree. Need to get the chainsaw properly sharpened. Might need to get it serviced too.

I think I'll hold onto the wood from that maple in hopes of being able to burn it myself for heat rather than sell it. Got a few other birch and alder trees marked for removal, plus a HUGE hemlock. With a little luck I'll have a 3 year stash fully dry by the time I have a stove.

There's a mill in WMass that has been known to buy cottonwood sawlogs - not sure what they do with them, but they do show up in abundance now and then and must be good for something!

Kudos on the wood effort - I'm in a similar situation, not sure when the stove will materialize, but just know that it will...someday!

You can buy a stove with the money you'll save on a heating bill.

I figure we'd save, at most $800/year, and that's with "free" wood. Given what I know the work involved will entail for our situation we'd be hard pressed to put in a stove for less than $5000, and $6-7000 is probably more realistic. So, minimum 6 year pay back, probably more like 7-9 year payback. That's too long to justify financially.

I figure we'd save, at most $800/year, and that's with "free" wood. Given what I know the work involved will entail for our situation we'd be hard pressed to put in a stove for less than $5000, and $6-7000 is probably more realistic. So, minimum 6 year pay back, probably more like 7-9 year payback. That's too long to justify financially.

I saved a a couple grand last year. Easy. Probably going to save the same this year.

I have a heat pump and electricity runs around $0.10/KWh here. House is an '06 build, and is pretty tight and well insulated.

Mine house was built in 1980. My winter electric bills (electric heat) used to occasionally run over $600. My closest neighbor's February electric bill was $850+. Mine was under $170. It was a brutal winter in the northeast.

$0.10 /kwh is pretty cheap.why would a stove install cost so much?you must need a lot of ss pipe

I installed an Englander 13-nc myself and have about 1100 bucks in it. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Those prices seem steep to me but your in a different area too.
31075.jpeg

Reactions: Osagebndr
I installed an Englander 13-nc myself and have about 1100 bucks in it. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Those prices seem steep to me but your in a different area too.
View attachment 137525

I got my stove on sale at $400, down from $1000. When I bought the house, the previous owners had a wood burning stove. It was a no-brainer. I've been saving money ever since. :cool:

Reactions: Osagebndr
I got my stove on sale at $400, down from $1000. When I bought the house, the previous owners had a wood burning stove. It was a no-brainer. I've been saving money ever since. :cool:

I have too! Just last year alone I saved about 6-700. I'll recoup all my money I spent on it this year by Christmas and then the real savings come in. I'll be heating completely with wood. My electric furnace broke at the end of the season so I just went on and removed it and put a closet in its place. Now if I get cold I have to build a fire. That's fine with me though. The power company can stick it!

Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
I kept my thermostat set at 62. It only came on late in the afternoon a few times on week days. I had the house at 85 when it was 2 outside. The dogs looooooove that.

The crazy thing about y neighbor with his $850 electric bill in February? He has a wood burning stove in his house. !!!

I gave him about a quarter cord of red oak, and about 20 rounds of pine from a scrounge, so he could get started. Once he sees the saving and catches the burn bug, I predict he'll become a full fledged wood-junkie.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
View attachment 137525

Couple factors. 1) Wife has approve of the looks. 2) There's a propane fireplace in the spot now. I'd have to pull it out and all the flue pipe, then build out the space for the wood burner. 3) to get to the required clearance on the roof I'd have to put in 25' of new flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.