Noisy fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frolingdual

Jul 27, 2015
Norfolk UK
My fan used to be nearly silent but now it's vibrating when at high speed.

I have noticed the flue discoloured which looks like it got really hot. So I'm wondering if it got too hot and distorted the fan.

It only makes a noise on start up then the speed reduces and it's nearly silent again.

Any thoughts on how to solve?

If I need a new fan does anyone know of an online store I can buy one?

First thing we need to know is what make and model of stove ?

Cool - burns pellets or wood! Sorry, I don't know anything about that unit, but hopefully someone can come along and help you out.

Cool - burns pellets or wood! Sorry, I don't know anything about that unit, but hopefully someone can come along and help you out
X2

Froling SP Dual 28kW
Never heard of that stove here on this side of the pond. I would first try and clean the fan before attempting to buy a fan. Oven cleaner or orange cleaner. Does not take much buildup to cause an imbalance and high speed will amplify the problem.
Good luck

Never heard of that stove here on this side of the pond. I would first try and clean the fan before attempting to buy a fan. Oven cleaner or orange cleaner. Does not take much buildup to cause an imbalance and high speed will amplify the problem.
Good luck
Thinking about it that would make sense as I did have a poor burn just before it started. I will give it a try. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: bogieb
It's a Froling SP Dual 28kW

Interesting burner.
Other than the fan, How do like it?
Do you burn both wood and pellets?
How does it work?

Click pic below to Enlarge:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 131
My fan used to be nearly silent but now it's vibrating when at high speed.

I have noticed the flue discoloured which looks like it got really hot. So I'm wondering if it got too hot and distorted the fan.

It only makes a noise on start up then the speed reduces and it's nearly silent again.

Any thoughts on how to solve?

If I need a new fan does anyone know of an online store I can buy one?
Everytime I think my fan is vibrating, it turns out to be a back side panel or similar touching my Dist fan housing. Always on Startup for a minute or 2..

Interesting burner.
Other than the fan, How do like it?
Do you burn both wood and pellets?
How does it work?

Click pic below to Enlarge:
you fill it with logs and forget it. when the buffer temp falls it starts up on pellets. The pellets flame passes through the log chamber. As the logs light it will contribute to the flue gas temperature and reduce pellets until it's just running on logs.

If you don't put any logs in it just runs on pellets. It's very convenient as you can just load when you like.

BUT I have given up running on logs this winter due to dark smoke and tar build up causing the turbulators to get stuck. I think it's solvable as I get experience of loading and what I should burn. But did read something about forming an ember bed before loading being recommended. This clearly takes away its main benefit if really necessary.

running on logs
How long has the wood been seasoned? I have the luxury of steel bins to season my wood for 3 + years and almost no creosote in a old stove with clay liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.