Non-combustable wall.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilus

Oct 15, 2010
Seacoast, NH
Hi, I am new to the forum, so please excuse any errors on my part. I have a question concerning the wall surround for my wood stove installation. Please note that I am installing a Vermont Castings Madison 1655 wood stove. The instruction manual indicates that I need a minimum of 48" by 48" non-combustible wall protection with a 1" air gap to any combustible materials behind it. However, I have a unique situation. The location I am installing the stove had a gas insert located in a bump out on the side of the house. By removing the insert, I now have a hole in the exterior side of the house that is 52" by 50" with no combustible materials. Therefore, can I build my surround to this space without a one inch air space? Also note, that I intend to leave the bump out as a chase for my double-walled chimney. The chimney only requires a two inch clearance to any combustibles. This bump out is 52" wide and approximately 18" away from the exterior of the house. Any input would be greatly appreciated and I would be happy to provide any other additional information or photos. Thank you!

Welcome. A photo or two would be a good start to be sure we are seeing what you are seeing. Once we see what you are up against we can talk clearances. You may not need a wall shield. Unfortunately VC put all those wall shield diagrams before the clearances chart. Worst case scenario without any shields is listed in the "Unprotected surfaces" section in the chart on page 12 of the manual. The protected surfaces chart is for wall shields.

Status
Not open for further replies.