non combustable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevgle4587

Jan 3, 2008
Eastern NJ
My house had a wood stove in it when I bought it but i Just replaced it with a much newer stove in the same location. it is a bout 6" off of a rock made wall. Is this considered noncombustible and how far should I be off that wall

6" is pretty close. If this is real stone or even cultured stone, then the measurement is to the wall behind the stone. The distance depends on the stove make and model and the type of install (corner, flat wall, alcove). What stove is this and do you have a manual for it? These measurements should be in there and on a plate on the back of the stove.

Does the rock extend all the way through (is it all rock out to daylight), or is the rock built onto a wooden-framed wall? What's important is the distance from the back of the stove to the nearest combustible material. Rock's not combustible, but what's immediately behind it might be, and just rock placed hard against a combustible wall doesn't buy you much insulating value. More details about the construction are needed here. What kind of stove is it? Does it have heat shields installed on it? Can you shoot us a pic of the installation? Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.