non combustible wall clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hammerfore

Jan 11, 2011
Mich
I am finaly installing a wood stove . One question I cant seem to get a good answer for is the allowable distance from a non combustible wall. Back wall block faced with stone, side wall cement board on metal studs faced with stone,.. I talked to the local inspector and he follows the manufactures specs. My stove specifies 14 inches from combustible walls and to refer to the manufacture for non combustible walls. this is natureal stone and the manufacture is a little hard to contact. Does anyone know what standards applyand where I can obtian then to please my inspector and insurance co.? I dont want to move the stove far but a few inches will make my stove fit and lock better. thanks

When this question comes up, the general answer is: as close as you want as long as you get good airflow around the stove for heat distribution. Simple as that. There are no "non-combustible" numbers given, because the numbers are for a combustible surface, because it CAN catch fire. No other reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.