Non-insulated liner for wood insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I'm looking at an insert for my fireplace. It actually comes with the liner and a cap...but that's it. No insulation/mesh/etc. Do I absolutely need insulation? What are the cons to not having it? How much can I expect to pay for 25' of insulation/mesh/etc.? Is it simple to link/extend liner if the 25' it comes with isn't enough?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Much of this depends on your existing chimney...that is, the location, the condition, etc.

The insulation serves two purposes. First, it keeps the flue gases warmer for better draft and for less tars and creosotes forming in the liner. Secondly, it keeps the heat from soaking through the masonry into any wood or combustible materials nearby.

If the chimney is built up to modern code or close, the second point is moot. That is, there is little chance of heat from a 6 inch liner soaking through a flue tile, 4-5 inches of masonry and a small air space. However, if the existing chimney is not up to snuff (and many are not!), then both points apply.

Types and cost of insulation vary. You can dig around online and get a good idea of costs. It would be easy to extend your liner if need be - you can transition to rigid pipe at the top if you need only a couple more feet, etc.

Obviously, measure first........using a small string or rope with a weight on the bottom....dropped from the top.

You will have to stay with the same brand if you need additional parts/length. No - its not required to have insulation. It becomes less of an issue if the chimney is internal to the building v.s. an external. There are other "pour in" types of insulation available as well. Insulating the liner is highly recommended (by me anyhow) when lining an external chimney, and if possible, even an internal one.

Jags said:
You will have to stay with the same brand if you need additional parts/length. No - its not required to have insulation. It becomes less of an issue if the chimney is internal to the building v.s. an external. There are other "pour in" types of insulation available as well. Insulating the liner is highly recommended (by me anyhow) when lining an external chimney, and if possible, even an internal one.

Jags, I have to disagree with the assertion that insulation becomes less of an issue for an internal chimney. Your statement is true from a performance perspective, but from a safety or code perspective, insulation is very likely more of an issue when relining an internal masonary chimney, except in rare cases.

I wrote a post called "Why you probably DO need an insulated liner" a few weeks back. The basic point is that, if code is an issue for the owner, it is rare that an internal chimney will meet code when relined without insulating. It likely didn't meet code when it was built in the first place. Outside of the code discussion, from a safety point, an insulated liner is just safer, especially in a chimney fire.

So for the OP, I say you probably DO need to insulate your liner. Give my post a read for the details.

CleanBurnin said:
Jags said:

Jags, I have to disagree with the assertion that insulation becomes less of an issue for an internal chimney. Your statement is true from a performance perspective, but from a safety or code perspective, insulation is very likely more of an issue when relining an internal masonary chimney, except in rare cases.

I wrote a post called "Why you probably DO need an insulated liner" a few weeks back. The basic point is that, if code is an issue for the owner, it is rare that an internal chimney will meet code when relined without insulating. It likely didn't meet code when it was built in the first place. Outside of the code discussion, from a safety point, an insulated liner is just safer, especially in a chimney fire.

So for the OP, I say you probably DO need to insulate your liner. Give my post a read for the details.

You are correct, I was referring to performance. And as I stated, I DO recommend insulating liners.

Ok, assuming I DO need to get insulation...what's a ballpark figure for the wrap around kind and the spray kind?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Jags said:
CleanBurnin said:
Jags said:

You are correct, I was referring to performance. And as I stated, I DO recommend insulating liners.

I missed that line Jags - sorry. Must refill my coffee cup now, should improve my reading skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.