Non-stove washer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougstove

Feeling the Heat
Aug 7, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi;
I broke something.
It is a washer, but with a side-arm extension that projects about 3 mm, and then bends at a right angle, continuing for a further 3 mm.

I need to find a replacement, but I do not know what it is called.
It is part of the assembly retaining a bicycle wheel.
Does anyone know what they are called?

Bike repair shop?

It sounds like the safety retainer on a front wheel. The projection hooks into a notch in the fork to keep the wheel from falling off if the nuts come loose. They are only used on low end consumer bikes.

Earlier replies nailed both the part ID, and the source... Might also try a really good hardware store...

Note that as long as the axle nuts are properly torqued, you CAN live with out it, or substitute a plain washer - it is mainly there to protect the kind of people that "tighten" nuts with a pair of slip jaw pliers from their own stupidity, and protect the bike makers from their lawyers...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.