Noob - 1st time pipe cleaning...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squatpuke

Hearth Supporter
Nov 22, 2008
Flagstaff, Arizona
Hello fellow burners.

Finished my FIRST season this last spring.

Meant to sweep earlier in summer but put if off...

Gettin' cold here again and I wanna make sure I clean the chimney BEFORE our first fire of the year...

Have some VERY NOOBISTIC opinions/questions...

1) From my limited research, appears I can buy a sweeper/brush (ball thingy), drop it down from the top with some rope/chain....then was planning on wifey hooking the bottom end to a rope/string as well...then we could each pull back & forth up the pipe. Of course I would give her the bottom end (evil grin).

2) Or I could buy some type of fiberglass attachment and sweep from the top down only....collect into a bag at bottom of unattached pipe...

3) I could pay 80 bucks for someone else to it...watch what they do and repeat next year.

So was wondering what other's opinions were on best (most effective) way to clean my double-wall pipe....I do have an angle on my pipe to deal with, and it has me a bit concerned...as does the wear the pipe will take when I unscrew and push up....(I do have stove pipe paint).

How much soot should I expect? Is it like a bag full? or only a small dusting?

I've read the pipe should be warm/semi-hot for best results...true?

Can someone recommended the best products to buy? i.e rods,brushes,etc

Last year we burnt mainly oak,aspen and cedar and juniper.

Thanks!!!

You should use a poly brush, so make sure the pipes aren't hot or you will melt it.

If you have a bend in the pipe, I would go with your first option. Attached a washer or something to the end of the string, drop that down to the stove and have your helper pull the string.

My liner is straight up and down, so I use fiberglass rods and sweep from the top down. The rods are only a couple bucks a piece and can be found at most home improvement stores. I think they come in 3 foot sections.

Thanks man...

Wonder if it's worth it to invest in the something super nice....

Been shopping online, quite a selection...one brand better than the other?

Saw some posts here about using PVC....would that work in the bend I have?

The rods are cheap, plenty strong, plenty flexible, and already have the threaded ends you need for the brush. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time cobbling something together unless you have all the stuff sitting and taking up space in your garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.