Noob and Timber wolf 2200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clarence olson

Oct 31, 2011
Central Utah
This might be a long post, so i have been lurking for a while and learned some great stuff from this site. Thanks to all for posting. So I growed up in Minnesota and moved to Utah in 1995, got married and now some odd 16 years later, five kids and bought a house in 2009. Two level rambler, stove in the basement family room. Had a wood stove or should say wood eating air sucking thick smoking tin box. Two weeks ago i purchased the timberwolf 2200 from a local Heating and air conditioning supply store. Have a good friend that is an HVAC contractor and I ordered it through his account. Out the door after taxes $678.00 and another $65 for single wall to connect to existing thimble. Clay liner brick chimney, will most likely go for liner next year. I bought this stove mainly due to price. five kids and all, i have to watch pennies. So from all the info from this forum, I really wanted the PE super 27, little spendy, so next True North TN1.9, still same situation. The HVAC friend priced all of these for me and the Timberwolf was the economy choice. So i went for it. After burning the stove for two weeks, i kinda should of bought the 2300, 3 cubic box, but that was another $300. Anyways i really like this stove and prolly cause i am used to the old tin box. The welds are a little ugly, i have looked at them after one week of good burning and they still look the same, time will tell. Load her up at night, and yes i am using cottonwood, i have a friend that works for the city parks and recreation and when they drop trees he calls me. they cleared out city property for a cemetery and it was all cottonwood. After reading on the forum i was bummed and thought i wasted a lot of time and effort, but it burns ok for me. Take the truck to work, and the city yard is a couple blocks from where i work, load her up and bring home, it is already cut to length, and split with the fiskars, splits ok wet, My son and i split 80 percent by hand and borrowed a buddies log splitter for the big stuff, gots around 12 cord of the stuff and plenty more in the city yard already cut to length. sucks to split dry. i split all of this in march and april this year, so load up at night 9:00, close air halfway at 9:20, push the lever all the way close at 9:45 and wake up at 6:30 to plenty of coals to restart in the morning, start process again at 6:30, leave for work 7:15, trained the wife to load stove and she loves it. She opens air back to half open at around 9:30 after she gets back from taking kids to school, around 11:00 she opens air back to wide open. Loads two splits in at 12 or lunch and starts all over again. She thought i was a little hard on her in training process, cause ya know it is just a wood stove. I told her this is not just a wood stove. this is a technologically advanced machine for heating. she didn't laugh. but she now knows why after loading during the day. I really like the stove and she is throwing good heat and heats both levels pretty well. I can not wait for the real cold weather to see how the stove can keep up. i split the cottonwood leaving it in the biggest splits possible for the stove, i like to stuff the stove with 3 or 4 pieces, wife only does 2 and likes to leave air 1/4 open and enjoy the heat. Stove likes to cruise at 550 to 600, with flue temps at 300.
sorry so long and some pics to go with. tried to break out the ugly fake rock on the hearth and wall, after an hour of wailing and chiseling i decided to leave it, kicked my butt. once again thanks to all the people who take time to post. good info to keep safe and burnin.

Attachments

• Stove 1.jpg
    Stove 1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 414
  • stove 3.jpg
    stove 3.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 376
  • stove 4.jpg
    stove 4.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 392
  • stove 7.jpg
    stove 7.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 418
  • stove 8.jpg
    stove 8.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 384
  • stove 9.jpg
    stove 9.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 419
  • wood 3.jpg
    wood 3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 382
Welcome to the forum.
Nice pictures.
Looks like you are enjoying it & having fun saving money on the heat bill.
Good job.

If that hearth could talk. How old?

Stump_Branch said:
If that hearth could talk. How old?

I talked to the neighbor, his last name is Wilson, ha ha and we call him Wilson when talking over the fence. He said, he bought his house in the late 80's and remembers the chimney being there. I would think that they did the wall at the same time as the hearth and chimney. My guess. So i would say Old and it will stay until i get the nerve up to rent or buy a small jack hammer or rotary hammer drill.

Thanks for the report firehappy. As you have found out, cottonwood is pretty low on btus. It's ok for fall and spring burning, but not for really cold weather unless the stove is oversized. If you can get a hold of some dry, good firewood I think you will be surprised at the additional heat output.

BeGreen said:
Thanks for the report firehappy. As you have found out, cottonwood is pretty low on btus. It's ok for fall and spring burning, but not for really cold weather unless the stove is oversized. If you can get a hold of some dry, good firewood I think you will be surprised at the additional heat output.
so long story short i gots my hands on some cherry wood, they were the red cherries, the tree has been dead standing for three plus years, i cut it down on friday and burned a little over the weekend, oh man, stove went to 600-650 and stayed that way for 4 to 5 hrs. oh yah, would love to have some well seasoned hard wood. some day.

There ya go. Orchards often have to replant after a decade or so. See if you can get some fruit wood (apple, cherry, plum, etc.) or nut wood (pecan, almond) from them. Also, do they grow tamarack (larch) in your area?

Hey firehappy, good to see you on the forum! This firehappy guy is the guy that got me into woodburning, he probably never knew I'd go so nuts with it though, and now my wife hates him. He sent me some pics of the old tinbox with a fire in it a few years ago and I saw them and ran out and got a stove the next week or two! Started getting wood probably every month or two and don't have a backyard, lol. Hey firehappy, remember that sycamore we tried to split with the wood splitter? What a nightmare! Can't wait to see how that burns for you next year! That stuff was as bad as dry cottonwood, but hopefully will burn twice as long.

Status
Not open for further replies.