Noodling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wendell said:
That's what I tried but when I previewed the post, all that showed up was the link between the YouTube markers.

you push the wrong button on you tube, its a very short address under share and I think it also says facebook.

Jags said:
I don't noodle often, but when I do....Its cuz I NEED to.

Is that all you got? lol

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Is that all you got? lol

Those where the heaviest logs I have ever dealt with. I would guess them way into the 400 pound range at 20" thick. One guy trying to use a spud bar to slide them - couldn't budge 'em.

Attachments

• oak4.jpg
    oak4.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 198
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Is that all you got? lol

Those where the heaviest logs I have ever dealt with. I would guess them way into the 400 pound range at 20" thick. One guy trying to use a spud bar to slide them - couldn't budge 'em.

That oak even the little splits are heavy!

44 inch on this one.

Attachments

• james.jpg
    james.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 164
Jags said:
DBH was 47". At the butt my 25" bar couldn't take it in two swings.

I was running my rakers much lower doing a lot of silver maples (quick tip for softer woods but sucks in very hard woods) hit that red-oak and it vibrated enough to blow my elbow's to hell and back!

Well with the load I had I have now done my fair share of noodling. I haven't notice any fast decrease in the sharpness of the chain, actually this chain seems to have held an edge longer than chains past. I don't think it has anything to due with noodling.

Anyway, the rounds I had were twisted and chalked full of knots to get any decent splits from, and were were also too large to pick up to get rid of. I've noodled to manageable sizes that one guy can pick them up.

I went through the bark side and the had to stop alot to clear the noodles from the saw. I now have large piles of noodles all over the yard!

IMHO I prefer the smaller rounds up to 2' in diameter. This 40" stuff seems like it's more work work than it's worth.

test

I did exactly the same this time as before. Not sure why it works now. But, glad it does.

Noodles make great firestarters. I couple hand fulls and a few pieces of kindling works great for me. I try to keep a box of noodles around. I only make noodles in really knotted twisty stuff. I have been lucky to scrounge mostly Red and White Oak this year and 98% of it split by Fiskars with little or no effort.

Wendell. Nice looking saw you got there. Is that a true 7901 or a 6401 with an upgraded P&C? Just wondering because I have a home depot 6401 and am definitely going to make the upgrade, but don't know yet if I'll go with with OEM 7901 upgrade or the aftermarket 84cc upgrade. The extra cc's are very tempting, plus the price difference. Definitely going to the the HD airfilter too. Also how is the carlton bar working for you. The HD saw came with an HD branded bar and a low kick back chain. Definitely need to replace those soon. Wish I had before having to tackle all the noodling I was doing on some big tulip poplar.

It is an upgraded HD 6401. I went with OEM so I could mod it if I wanted to down the road. Love the Carlton bar and pretty impressed with the RSC chain I put on it.

The brain new bar and chain it came with are just hanging in the garage and will doubtfully ever see wood. I think the 20" bar it came with is almost the same weight as that 28" Carlton.

Wow...28" bar. Didn't even catch that. Ever bog down on you? I like the 20" bar (length) that I have, but with the upgrade I was thinking about going up to 24". That should handle anything I want to mess with and I know that won't give me any issues. Reading through everything posted about these saws and the upgrading I've read about guys pulling 36" with the 84cc upgrade with no problems.

What additional mods can you do with the 79 upgrade that you wouldn't be able to do with the 84?

The modder that i may use said he will only work on the OEM since it is of much better quality that the BB kit. That being said, there are a number of guys who have the BB kit and love it and also some that have modded it with no problems.

I have got it to slow a bit but never anything I would call bogging down. I love the saw!! My 7300 is getting jealous.

I also got the Carlton/Tsumara bar in 24". I'm not sure if Bailey's has any of them left but if they do, snatch one up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.