Normal burning tempature?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bodnar III

Nov 13, 2019
New Jersey
Hi all!

I have a wood burning Lopi large flush mount fireplace insert. This is my second season with it and it has been running great.

My question is that when I get this thing going on a full load and start shutting down the air for longer burns i can get tempatures up to 1200 on my gauge. I fell like it isnt running efficient until it hits the 800ish mark to get the secondary burn. Is this normal to get the insert that hot?

The only thing that I think is different with my gauge (I'm still a noob) is that my gauge looks to be reading the temp at the top of the insert, not the flue.

Thanks for any help!

Please let those be cat temps.

Please let those be cat temps.

What, you don’t run your STT at 1200 for warm up? Jeeze, your stove isn’t radiating enough heat if the whole thing and most of the pipe isn’t glowing. Also, been meaning to ask, anyone know why I smell something burning....

Yes, sounds like cat temps. On most stoves the cats gets into the active zone above around 500º. 1200º is a good temp for cruising. Keep the cat below 1500º and all is well.