1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

North Central Texas Winters?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by REF1, Nov 8, 2012.

1. REF1

REF1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West, VA
    Looks like I'm leaving the mountains of Virginia for the flatland of Texas, Denton area. Would like to know if anyone here lives around there and what kind of cord numbers you go through. I've lived there before, but never used wood for heat. We like it cool, too, so I'll be using less wood than some. Also what cords cost in the event we do not settle on a property with a supply of wood.

Thank you.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    My brother is outside Waco, he is heating a 3000+sqft ranch, and his wife likes it around 80 degrees in the house near as I can tell. He goes through 2.5 cord or so, with a Country Hearth insert.

They have no wood on their property, but, at least in the Waco area, scrounging is all they need to keep up. In fact he has gotten several years ahead in the last two years. (thanks to me educating him..lol)
  3. pyronut

pyronut Member

Loc:
    El paso, TX
    We live in West TX, El Paso, and are heating 3400 sq feet with a Quad 5700 step top and a Napoleon 1450 stove and use between 2.5 - 3 cords of wood. Wife likes the temp around 80. This year we have also added a seperate game room around 600sq feet and are using a Woodstock Fireview and will probably use 1/2 a cord or less on that room. We mostly just scrounge wood and have built up our stock pile that way. An average cord of mixed soft and hardwoods goes for $225.00 delivered on craigslist.
  4. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Loc:
    N TX
    Living about 90 miles west. Run about 1.5 cord through a Napoleon 1402 insert. 2500 sq2 farmhouse. Don't know price of wood as have access to unlimited oak