Northern Lights predictions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Now would be nice. We were in the clouds for the last few strong auroras.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Y'all may also keep an eye on this link, though it is likely a copy of the top right image shared by @EbS-P .

https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

For me, 0-3 intensity is a yawner of silent green stuff moving around in the sky. Once the intensity forecast hits 4 or higher I can expect reds or purples with sound. Audible aurora sounds like steak cooking on a grill or rain falling on wet grass, and should not be missed.

I have been outdoors a couple nights when the forecast intensity of 7 proved to be correct, and those two experiences are what let me yawn through 0-3.

If you want to see the aurora bad enough to come to Fairbanks, March and September are the best choices. Thankfully you have a friend in Fairbanks, and both months are warm enough for me to fire up the grill.

Wow! Cool site! They present it in a slightly less complicated format!

I didn’t know they had sound! I bet if you were listening to ice grow at the same time it’d be a crazy experience!

I have caught two intense auroras, both on the east coast. There was no sound, but it sure seemed like there should be. I was thinking a symphony of angels. It could be that by being closer to the pole one can actually hear ions frying. That's really cool.
These sites are good for space weather.

Last edited:
Hope so. We are predicted to have clear skies.