Northern Lights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
We normally don't get to see them living in town, but they are bright tonight.

PXL_20211012_034939411.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20211012_035158632.NIGHT.jpg

I imagine they are very beautiful when you see them in person and the pictures just gives a small hint of the pretty colors...They had some kind of a earthquake in Alaska near Kodiak or something and just wondering do earth quakes ever affect your area?..Thanks for the picture..clancey

I love seeing them in Maine. No worries of stray light near me!!

I imagine they are very beautiful when you see them in person and the pictures just gives a small hint of the pretty colors...They had some kind of a earthquake in Alaska near Kodiak or something and just wondering do earth quakes ever affect your area?..Thanks for the picture..clancey

Generally our area is very geologically stable, no notable fault zones in the area. We are a long ways from that earthquake, I believe that was in the Alutian islands.

That being said we do get many very small tremors every year, magnitude 1-2.5, and these are caused by hydraulic fracturing (fracing) for oil and gas. But that is the goal, use 40,000hp of high pressure pumps to create fissures in the rock that are then filled with a permeable material like sand so the oil and gas can flow out. Every now and then it will trigger a larger tremor if the conditions for an earthquake already exist, I think the biggest in this area was a 5.6 magnitude. Keep in mind that the Rictor Scale is logarithmic so a 6 is ten times more powerful than a 5, so the recent quake in Alaska is 10 times more powerful than our largest.

Reactions: clancey
That's fantastic. They were dimly seen in WA state, but I missed them. I feel very fortunate to have seen them in full glory a couple times in my life, once in CT and once in ME.

Might be another good night for those living in Northern Canada and Alaska:

latest.jpg

1635643260588.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been watching the forecast. We are a longshot being so far west, but it sometimes can happen here.
I am also watching the Aurora Cam up in Alberta. It refreshes every 10 seconds. It should be lighting up there in a hour or two.

Reactions: ABMax24