1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Northern Virginia Free Hardwood Heads-Up

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by BrotherBart, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pulldownclaw

pulldownclaw New Member

Loc:
    Richmond, Va
    Holy crap! That seems much too good to be true, but it's got me thinkin' hard about a road trip! If I had a trailer for the minivan I'd be pickin' a load up on the way back from visiting the family for turkey day!
  3. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    I saw that, and that Montgomery County was listed also. But I assumed it was somehow or another not what it seemed and didn't call. That, and my neighbor just cut down an oak tree.
  4. pulldownclaw

pulldownclaw New Member

Loc:
    Richmond, Va
    The ad has been flagged, big surprise! Can you say "WAY too good to be true?" %-P
  5. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    I never got to see the add. what did it say?
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    That may mean nothing. Some unscrupulous competitors will flag each others ads.
  7. pulldownclaw

pulldownclaw New Member

Loc:
    Richmond, Va
    Yeah, but did you see the ad? It said something like "60 cords of free hardwoods delivered to your door!".
  8. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    It does sound way too good to be true. Further, the Fairfax County area in Northern Virginia is under a firewood quarantine due to the Emerald Ash Borer. There are local outbreaks in Northern Virginia and in Prince Georges County. MD. It's either outright illegal or at least pretty inconsiderate to move firewood out of these areas. Too bad, as the majority of local free firewood ads in Craig's List are from that area. BTW I have even seen warning ads in Craig's List to that effect. They are trying real hard to get the word out and stop folks from spreading the problem around.
  9. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    It's outright illegal, for both Fairfax and PG, but I suspect most folks have no idea. And given that the EAB has never really been stopped (short of simply cutting down every ash tree), I expect the whole region will wind up like MI-OH eventually.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.