Not enough room, to move or not to move...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warm_in_NH

Minister of Fire
Dec 17, 2013
central NH or N.E. CT.
The basic situation is a Jotul 12 Firelight in my customers living room that currently sits 5" off the walls in the corners where it calls for a minimum of 12", the single wall pipe is 14" off the wall, and they have 9" of ember protection out front.

We're going to be replacing their carpets with hardwood and they're not happy with their old brick hearth pad. So they asked about a pre-fab one, biggest they could fit there in the corner given a sliding glass door, same size as the brick essentially.

Now that I found out that their stove that's been there for 25 years is why out of spec and can't be made right given the location, can I touch it without being responsible for anything that'll happen down the road?
Essentially they just want it moved, flooring run under it, hearth pad (same foot print as what they have now) put down, and stove set back where it is. It's just that where it is isn't right. I know all states are different, wondering if anyone has any input on the liability factors at play here.

Now that I found out that their stove that's been there for 25 years is why out of spec and can't be made right given the location, can I touch it without being responsible for anything that'll happen down the road?
Essentially they just want it moved, flooring run under it, hearth pad (same foot print as what they have now) put down, and stove set back where it is. It's just that where it is isn't right. I know all states are different, wondering if anyone has any input on the liability factors at play here.
You can clean it and as long as you notify them of the problems you are ok but if you uninstall it and reinstall it it is your baby and your problem. Don't do it unless you can bring it up to code it is not worth it

At least here, you are not responsible to fix historic issues when you are contracting. If you replace the stove, you would be required to update the installation, but if you are working on the floor you are not responsible to repair the stove.

You can clean it and as long as you notify them of the problems you are ok but if you uninstall it and reinstall it it is your baby and your problem. Don't do it unless you can bring it up to code it is not worth it

That's what I thought. Thanks! Don't need that mess on my hands.

I would think moving it from it's current home and putting it back would make it my baby, it's an ugly baby, don't want it.

Reactions: bholler
Let some unlicensed chump do that for them, I will say you are more knowledgeable about clearance issues than 90% of the general contractors that I know, most would do it laughing all the way to the bank, that is until that wood hits its pyrophoric carbonization point and ignites, they better hope those records go up with the fire.

The manual is pretty clear. Let them know they have a code and potential insurance violation. Maybe print up the clearances for the stove for them.

Not enough room, to move or not to move...

Status
Not open for further replies.