Nothing Fancy - But I finally got a Splitter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
Tax man was good to me so the wife did not defend much when I said I was getting a splitter. 5 Ton electric model with stand at a decent price with my wife's discount. Now if the rain would hold up I could get to splitting.

01183737.jpg

WOW! the tires on that thing, hope they're not on 16" wheels. :lol: Actually, that looks like a nice splitter- especially since it appears to have a base plate for correct splitting- verticle mode. let us know how it works. Congrats!

First off...Congrats..... Those are really nice. I looked into one.. It was a 7 ton model. Also looked at the dual splitters (gas, 15 ton). Splitting both directions seems like it would save a lot of time. BUT. you would have to do "Full Cycles" each way....

Anyway...... I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube on the electric splitters. Also a bunch of videos on there websites. They are very nice, and I am still thinking about getting one for the basement. Would be nice to have something down there, in case a split or round is to big. Or to make some fancy work of some kindling. I was in the process of buying one, till they worked a deal on the 21 ton MTD on the floor. Only split a few smaller (stringy) rounds. Does it with authority. But the electric was what I went into buy and I was gonna be happy with it. Hope it works well for you.

Way to go.
Rain?? Put up a tarp, you got a new splitter to try out.
It's electric, do some indoors.
Gotta try this out & give us a report. :)

bogydave said:
Way to go.
Rain?? Put up a tarp, you got a new splitter to try out.
It's electric, do some indoors.
Gotta try this out & give us a report. :)

I am with ya bogy. +2

thats nice , i am a fan of the smaller splitters and would also like to hear how this works out for you.

Nice one, all you need now is a matching milk crate to sit on......... :)

Just spent 5 hours at it until the rain came. Verdict is in and, I like it. Like I stated at first nothing fancy but it busts up wood with minimal effort. I mostly have large juniper and birch, no problem for this little machine. A few knotty or very large pieces had to be flipped around to find the sweet spot but all in all no issues with power. Only issues I had was that it had a long travel and I had cut my wood a little shorter this year in anticipation of making it easier to split with the axe. Problem solved with a little filler block of 4 x 4. Can't say I like the "safety" feature of needing to use 2 hands, one to push a button and one to pull the leaver. Still I can honestly say I would never want to get my hands caught in there. At first, with my excitement I felt like it was a little slow. That changed after about 30mins. Once I got into a normal working speed, the splitter was waiting on me.

The fiskers is great, but had I just spent 5 hours splitting with an axe, I would be done for the day. Hardly broke a sweat. So I would certainly recommend this splitter to someone. Mine cost me $350 all in for the splitter and stand. Splitter was retail $350 and the stand was $80, with the wifes discount it was like getting the stand for free.

Sweet. Now if "like others are thinking" Had a real "Picture"
We'd all be cheering.
Looks like it's a keeper.
How noisy is it?

fair enough, will take a pic the next time I have it. Later this week.

My wife bought me the Speeco version from TSC over the winter. I've used mine a bit and it really does go through just about everything I have, other than some really nasty, gnarly stuff that I'll just put in the firepit outside. Its a really shocking little tool when you start working it.

Can’t say I like the “safety†feature of needing to use 2 hands, one to push a button and one to pull the leaver.

I have no clue what you're talking about here, so it seems there are minor differences. The only button on mine is the power button on the electric motor. I've gotten into the habit of holding the round with my hands and pushing the lever down with my foot until the thing falls apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.