Nov 14th ... used 1/2 ton so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Around #4 for me. It has been a warm fall for us here in central NY.

This time last year, I'm sure I was pushing 20-30.

The new PA pellets are awesome so far. Nothing but clean ash and nothing left over in the burn pot.

One thing I have found, is my father and hound like it WARM while everyone is out for the day. I also have been burning cubex which I find burns quicker due to its small size and greater quantity per drop from the hopper.

Reactions: alternativeheat
One thing I have found, is my father and hound like it WARM while everyone is out for the day. I also have been burning cubex which I find burns quicker due to its small size and greater quantity per drop from the hopper.

hi,
so given that you've used 1/2 ton already, what are you projecting for the season? 3-4 tons like average? i'm a 1st year burner, that's why i'm asking. i have 3.6 tons, but probably used 10 bags already...

I'm new to pellet heat so its been a trial and error so far. Testing all heat ranges and have used about 24 bags since Oct 1st. Right now I am burning roughly a bag in 24 hours with heat 2 blower 9 Entire ranch house with stove in an uninsulated basement and all rooms except the kitchen are about 66 degrees, (Kitchen about 68-70) with heat rising from the open basement door. I will take it considering the past couple years I would not run the oil furnace past 60 and hell I still burned nearly 600 gallons of oil.

Nah, he just isn't telling us that his house is just 700 sq ft and he is burning two P68's !:cool:
Only 50 so far and your in Fairbanks?

You must be well insulated.

I am heating about 1600 sqft of a 1900 sqft ten year old two story. Very open floor plan makes for very easy heat transfer. Honesty I am surprised as well. The house was 5 star when it was built, but is a 4 star under the new system. Only r18 walls and r40 ceiling. Loving the P43!

Reactions: alternativeheat
hi,
so given that you've used 1/2 ton already, what are you projecting for the season? 3-4 tons like average? i'm a 1st year burner, that's why i'm asking. i have 3.6 tons, but probably used 10 bags already...

Last year I started with three tons, and added towards the end of the season for a total of 4 tons. This year I bought 4 tons right of the bat, so it should work out perfectly. 2200 sq ft split level ranch.

It's been about15 bags for this newbie. Love the whole pellet and forum thing tons of great info

cant figure out if this is on the high end and in line with last year. Doesn't seem like we should have used that much since end of September.
If you go to degreedays.net, you can download the weather data for your area. Just doing a quick scan shows that your area is slightly warmer this year by about 10% since end of Sept this year than last.

I'm at 1/2 ton as well, bag 25 just went in the hopper tonight.

You guys on the east coast got it made. I'm burning corn, at least 2 5gal pails a day now here in Wisconsin.
So about 65-70 lbs a day. Probably used 90 yesterday with all the wind,snow bs.

Got 20 pails used from a screen print shop for $10. Pending on the quality of corn around 32 -35 lbs per bucket

If you go to degreedays.net, you can download the weather data for your area. Just doing a quick scan shows that your area is slightly warmer this year by about 10% since end of Sept this year than last.
Thanks for the info!
Our house gets hit with a nonstop wind from November through March. Convective cooling is a KILLER on the hill where we are, yet 500 ft in either direction and it's completely neutral! We bought the house in May. :confused:

So last year, our Oct usage was 8 bags in the MVAE (family room near one office) and 5 bags in the Quest (basement office). This year it was 5 bags in the MVAE and only 1 in the Quest, but to be fair we used the electric heat in the basement office more this year just for convenience because it was only needed in mornings and the Quest is manual light, no stat. The MVAE is a better comparison. Also, we both work at home so house is heated fully most of day.

For Nov, through the 14th, last year was 8 bags in MVAE and 6 in Quest while this year is 9 in MVAE, 5 in Quest, but that inclues filling both late in the day on 14th, and MVAE holds 80 lbs and I keep a bin beside the Quest that holds about 50 lbs, and that's also included. So overall, we're behind last year due to warm October and slightly warmer Nov, but Nov is changing fast. Overall we burned 296 bags for all last season, and it was a nasty winter. Have 315 on hand and ready.

Snowblower maintenance this weekend, and procuring gas for generator as well (adding Stabil). Will check battteries for UPS, chainsaws, boots, gloves as well. Hello, winter...

You guys on the east coast got it made. I'm burning corn, at least 2 5gal pails a day now here in Wisconsin.
So last year, our Oct usage was 8 bags in the MVAE (family room near one office) and 5 bags in the Quest (basement office). This year it was 5 bags in the MVAE and only 1 in the Quest, but to be fair we used the electric heat in the basement office more this year just for convenience because it was only needed in mornings and the Quest is manual light, no stat. The MVAE is a better comparison. Also, we both work at home so house is heated fully most of day.

For Nov, through the 14th, last year was 8 bags in MVAE and 6 in Quest while this year is 9 in MVAE, 5 in Quest, but that inclues filling both late in the day on 14th, and MVAE holds 80 lbs and I keep a bin beside the Quest that holds about 50 lbs, and that's also included. So overall, we're behind last year due to warm October and slightly warmer Nov, but Nov is changing fast. Overall we burned 296 bags for all last season, and it was a nasty winter. Have 315 on hand and ready.

Snowblower maintenance this weekend, and procuring gas for generator as well (adding Stabil). Will check battteries for UPS, chainsaws, boots, gloves as well. Hello, winter...
Yep, fired off the generator last week and did an output check etc. The snow blower will be next week and I'll place it out front under it's winter cover. Got to grease it, I didn't do that last year since the year prior it got used just once. But last winter it was busy. I really want a plow for my garden tractor for some of the slush storms we get here on Cape Cod but not sure I'm getting to that this year. Snow blowers don't move slush very well or mine doesn't.

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
Yep, fired off the generator last week and did an output check etc. The snow blower will be next week and I'll place it out front under it's winter cover. Got to grease it, I didn't do that last year since the year prior it got used just once. But last winter it was busy. I really want a plow for my garden tractor for some of the slush storms we get here on Cape Cod but not sure I'm getting to that this year. Snow blowers don't move slush very well or mine doesn't.
Genny is good to go. Auto-start tested and have enough propane for three days. Plow is on the old Explorer, big-a**ed John Deere snow blower gassed and in the garage. Had a plow on the J D garden tractor but got tired of freezing my tail off so put a Predator Kevlar plow on an Explorer. Had it since early 2000s and lo e it! Got a dusting last night and temp down to 18 but stove kept it a steady 70. New room temp probe working well and cleaning the ESP helped as well. Ready for another NE PA winter out here in the middle of nowhere.

Two weeks,6 bags.24/7-room temp manual set at 80 feed at 4 installed in basement with ranch style house nice and warm.Upstairs wood insert barely used yet.

What? Can't you just pour from the bag to hopper? Is that too much dust?
Bought bulk corn $130 ton. Screen all the corn to make sure no rock and bigger cob pieces and take out fines as Bixby will blow out small pieces making for dirty stove as its cleaning interval can go to a month.

You corn burners are killing the price of my steaks! :confused:
Actually all this strange weather is. Thousands died in snow storms last year and California's and Texas's drought is drying up all the hay and grass land. Putting booze in your gas tank has more to do with high corn prices. Pushing E15 here and bio10 in diesel.

Actually all this strange weather is. Thousands died in snow storms last year and California's and Texas's drought is drying up all the hay and grass land. Putting booze in your gas tank has more to do with high corn prices. Pushing E15 here and bio10 in diesel.
Wish I could buy pellets for a buck-thirty a ton! Got acres of free wood but hate dealing with creosote and all the splitting and stacking. Love auto ignition. Just call me lazy. If there was a source of non-ethanol laced auto fuel I'd happily use it. Had a good hay season out here tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.