Novice Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1cmathis

Feb 23, 2008
California
I'm a complete novice when it comes to wood stoves, but we're buying one, so I have some questions.

The whole house is about 1,600 square feet to heat, but we live in Southern California, so we don't need a lot of heat. I'm getting the impression, from what I read, that stoves need to be kept are a certain temperature for them to work properly? If that's true, is there a danger of me getting too large a stove? I'm looking at either the Jutol 400 or 500, but my fear is getting "too much" stove.

Your thoughts?

Many people buying wood stoves are looking to heat their homes and are in cold climates where that is a significant task. In your area I'm guessing that your heat needs are less substantial. In the cold climates generally most people suggest getting a larger stove to be able to meet the peak heating needs in really cold periods. In your case, that may not be that much. As such, a smaller stove that you have to occasionally burn flat out might be the best thing. I would think the 400 would be penty of stove for you.

Agreed. The Castine should cover your needs.

Southern Cal huh? Just how cold are you getting at night, and how often? How often would you anticipate using your stove? For decorative/aesthetic purposes or genuine energy saving heat production? Sorry for so many questions, but we have to know some of these variables before folks can chime in on yeas or neas. A lot of folks on this site are burning stoves pretty much non-stop from Sept-Oct to April-May.

BotetourtSteve said:
Southern Cal huh? Just how cold are you getting at night, and how often? How often would you anticipate using your stove? For decorative/aesthetic purposes or genuine energy saving heat production?

It only gets into the 40's on occasion, so it's not all that cold. But, we would rather enjoy the aesthetics of a wood stove than listen to the roar of our forced-air heater.

So, is it true that a stove has to burn at a certain temperature to draft efficiently, or can you build a small fire in a large stove?

You can burn a small fire in a large stove, but unless the stove firebox gets hot enough to support secondary combustion it isn't going to burn cleanly. In southern CA, You are better off with a small stove in which you can burn a hotter fire and the stove can get up to temperature quickly. Actually, the Jotul F3CB might be worthy of consideration as well.

I would think in S.CA the OP would be better off with a pellet stove...unless he has his own source of wood. My memories of S.CA (pasa robles)is mostly arid ...but it's been a long time.

Given the size of your house and the (lack of) low temperatures, I would definitely not go any bigger than the F3 CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.