Now Here is Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
My neighbor has a walkout basement with what I'll call a walkout attachment. Its about a 15x20 block area attached to the walkout. He stores I forgot how many cord in there for the winter. This year he is already filled with 3yr old dried wood and ready for next winter. He can pull from that stash all winter long without going outside. He is only a few steps from the fireplace. IMG00962-20120503-1453.jpgIMG00963-20120503-1453.jpg

That's a nice set up.
He has been doing it for a few years. In the first pic, he's looking "proudly" as his winter time heat source.
Gotta wonder how much $$money he's saved over the years burning wood. (Re-newable energy :) , he was a "greenie" before it was cool)

Now try to to convince him how much more efficient the new wood stoves are compared to his fireplace :)

Looks good but I wood be a little concerned about the wood so close to the floor joists. The first pick has some pieces with white fungi on the ends, must have been outdoors a while for those shrooms to find a home on the wood, I'm guessing the same for those wonderful colonies of woodeating vermin. Since I'm not a seasoned pro let me know if I'm close or way off.

Still a nice setup.

I like it because it works for him. He's comfortable and the system he has makes woodburning easier to manage. I'm not a fan of storing wood in, under or around my home in the off-season. When the weather turns in early October I manage to store 2-3 cord on my 12x12 rear porch which I convert for just managing woodburning. By that time the bugs are at the mercy of the weather and the porch makes life easier and convenient to manage the wood. I'm sure everyone has their own thoughts and beliefs on this subject.

I would also be concerned about the bugs, any piece of wood I have that still has bark on it has bugs underneath.

Looks good but I wood be a little concerned about the wood so close to the floor joists. The first pick has some pieces with white fungi on the ends, must have been outdoors a while for those shrooms to find a home on the wood, I'm guessing the same for those wonderful colonies of woodeating vermin. Since I'm not a seasoned pro let me know if I'm close or way off.

Still a nice setup.
I've seen some of my wood sprout some 'shrooms on the ends and it wasn't down all that long. It was dead standing wood, though. I don't think it's anything to worry about. As far as the bugs, I understand that as the wood dries out, they become less interested. If that wood's three years old I wouldn't think he'd have a problem. I do see one thin wedge of what appears to be a Red Oak variety that has punked sapwood...

Does he process the wood himself? If so, that's impressive. He appears to be even older than I am. :oops:;lol

That storage is all concrete except for the roof. That wood inside is a mere drop compared to the 30+ cord stacked neatly in rows outside. He has been doing this for over 30yrs and bugs have never been an issue so I would guess you can say well seasoned wood is not a bug issue. As for the ifficiency topic, well your not going to convince someone of how wonderful new stoves are when what they have has been paid for longer than I've been alive and gets the job done. He could give 2 hoots about consumption also. I think he enjoys sitting by the fire and throwing on logs. Earl is 78 yrs old and he cuts firewood nearly everyday all yr round except Sunday. He sells some, supplies local cabin rental, and of course heats his house and machine shop with wood. I hope I have half his energy when I'm his age.

That storage is all concrete except for the roof. That wood inside is a mere drop compared to the 30+ cord stacked neatly in rows outside. He has been doing this for over 30yrs and bugs have never been an issue so I would guess you can say well seasoned wood is not a bug issue. As for the ifficiency topic, well your not going to convince someone of how wonderful new stoves are when what they have has been paid for longer than I've been alive and gets the job done. He could give 2 hoots about consumption also. I think he enjoys sitting by the fire and throwing on logs. Earl is 78 yrs old and he cuts firewood nearly everyday all yr round except Sunday. He sells some, supplies local cabin rental, and of course heats his house and machine shop with wood. I hope I have half his energy when I'm his age.

Earl makes me feel like a spring chicken at 66. Got to respect that man for what he does!
Take care,
Tim

Reactions: ScotO
When my FIL built his house back in the late 70's he made a wood cellar under the.porch of the house. There's enough storage for an entire season in there, his wood seasons a year or two outside and then goes in the cellar the fall before it is to be used. Great system (other than the occasional spider);)

I store wood in my boiler shed. The only bug issue I have so far is spiders. I treated my wood that the shed is built from though for preventive measure.

When my FIL built his house back in the late 70's he made a wood cellar under the.porch of the house. There's enough storage for an entire season in there, his wood seasons a year or two outside and then goes in the cellar the fall before it is to be used. Great systeother than the occasional spider ;)

My BIL did the same thing with his new house, right under the front porch, it has a steel roof, or steel floor for the porch, he stores 7 cords in there every fall for the winter, he said he sprays the floor with bug spray and doesnt have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.