Red Oak Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
All bucked up and split enough of it to fill the other half of my woodshed. I’ll stack the leftover rounds and split them next spring to help refill the shed. There were a few white oak logs in the mix, love that whiskey aroma! Also ended up with about a face cord of ready to burn stuff.

4122A386-96C0-486A-BB9D-4659395A9141.jpeg

Reactions: stoveliker
The scrub oak in Utah is "Gambel" oak.

Gambel Oak​

Gambel Oak is the hottest burning firewood species on record in America. It burns at a sweltering 30.7 million BTUs per cord. If you haven’t heard of Gambel Oak before, then that’s probably because it has a fairly limited geographic area where it grows, and is mostly found in Southwest America (e.g. Utah, Arizona, etc.).

I had no idea. As i said before, I've had a hard time getting it to burn that great?
Ah, OK. I shoulda caught that my Audubon Guide is Eastern Region, which as far as I know doesn't include UT. 😆
Yep, I've had a hard time getting the high-BTU stuff burning. Now, I just throw it in when I have a healthy bed of hot coals, or put it on the top/back of the load with more willing wood in front of and under it.
OK, I'm going to that wiki page to report the fake news; 😏 Bodark/Hedge-apple/Hedge/Osage Orange is 32.9 MBTU/ cord. 💣💥 I'm pretty sure that Live Oak and Eucalyptus are also above 30.7.
All bucked up and split enough of it to fill the other half of my woodshed. I’ll stack the leftover rounds and split them next spring to help refill the shed. There were a few white oak logs in the mix, love that whiskey aroma! Also ended up with about a face cord of ready to burn stuff.
Nice! 👉 I'm not leaving rounds whole anymore--If I don't have time to split them all the way down, I'll at least bust em in half.
Agreed, hard to beat that White Oak vanilla fragrance. Problem is, it takes me twice the time to get it stacked when I have to stop and huff every split! 😆
Even if it doesn't turn out to be a lot, it's always nice when you can cull out some already ready stuff. ==c

Reactions: Todd and bigealta
My neighbor says The gambel oak he burns always has lots of hot coals in the morning. So long slow burn seems like that may be the deal. Kind of like locust "Splits like butter, Burns like coal".

Reactions: Todd
Did some measuring after everything was stacked and it only came to 3.5 cords. I paid for 5 cords so the guy says he will drop some more logs off when he has time. Glad I measured, my neighbor ordered the same but has no idea what he actually has.

Reactions: Woody Stover