1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Now I Feel Really, Really Old

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by BrotherBart, May 26, 2014.

1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Grisu likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We are bro. Actually I don't blame them. I also found DOS to be pretty tedious.

Thanks for sharing, I love their reactions. That was priceless.
  3. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    At the oil company my department finally got the purchase of an Apple II approved. It got its own office. One day I was walking by the room and an Indian guy on staff was showing somebody how to use it. "First you put the deesk in the drive and then turn on the power and then go and take a sheeet and it will be ready when you get back."
    firebroad likes this.
  4. bassJAM

bassJAM Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cincinnati OH
    That computer predates me by a little (I'm 31), but I still remember using my dad's computer with a 286 processor, and his excitement when he upgraded to a 386 and then 486 PC. I used to know my way around with DOS commands but those days are long gone.
  5. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Just now, Bro?;lol;lol;lol

That stuff ain't old - can't be - I remember programming them....
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I'm more of a visual thinker. I remember my reaction to the Apple II was the same as those kids, boring. Finally bought myself an Amiga which immersed me in unix, but at least there was a decent UI.
  7. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Ya just ain't lived until you have written a shell sort in assembly language on a TRS-80 Model 1. ;lol

I am with those kids. I like the stuff today. I just want to turn it on and go.
  8. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    hilarious! too bad I got rid of my old apple ii's. would be fun to see my 4 year react.

still got the atari 2600, though... he likes pac-man.

<-- not as old as Bart, but I've written plenty in assembly.
  9. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    My first pc used cassette tapes, not disks...
    Took me hours to write a program in DOS to calculate a few tasks--IF A > "1" THEN B + A = SUM...
    The Trash 80 was the top of the line!
  10. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    We had a TI 99 with cassette tape. This was where I started to learn basic, around age 7. That was perhaps one of the earliest in a very long list of my many entirely useless professional skills...
  11. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Circa 1962, my Jr. High math teacher taught those of us who were interested one evening /week in our classroom at the school. We started with Machine Language and worked our way up to FORTRAN. On Saturday mornings we'd meet in an old frat house on the UC Berkeley campus to operate an IBM 1620. The computer and card reader were upstairs, the card punch machines down in the basement. We each had to make a deck of cards that would teach the computer arithmetic every time we wanted to get it to run a simple program to solve Algebra problems.
  12. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Back in high school I...errr...ummm got in trouble. Teach wanted me to write 1000 times "I will not <insert cause>"
    I asked if it could be typed and she agreed.
    She had no idea that a 4 line loop command could get the job done.;lol
    BrotherBart, Joful and firebroad like this.
  13. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Ah yes. The IBM 1620 through the IBM 360 and 370 DOS/VS (first disk packs) to DEC 10s and the VAX 11/780 and onto closing and moving a Class I IBM 3090 data center and world-wide network. And ending as a CIO.

And it all started in a spare bedroom with that TRS-80 Model one with two three hundred baud tape drives. It is still lovingly packed in boxes in the basement. Dang thing cost me $4,623 before it was fully built out with one 90K floppy drive and 64K of memory. Still have the receipts.

;lol;lol;lol

Asked my wife one time if she resented me spending that much on the thing. She said "I did at the time. But now I look at the house, the cars, eating for 37 years. Nah. Not anymore.".
  14. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I was around when those were just coming out, but I was out riding my bicycle....and I have been suffering the consequences since.
    Mrs. Krabappel likes this.
  15. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    ;lol
    Hah! Same thing with my daughter.
    First thing we got was this Timex Sinclair (POS), she wasn't interested. It quickly burned up, then the inlaws bought her a TI 99, she still ignored it. I on the other hand learned BASIC, did some rudimentary programming.
    To this day, she is somewhat computer illiterate, I on the other hand got my first modern pc (used laptop from kid across the road)just a few years ago, and am having a ball. Just got online at home last year around this time. I can usually figure out what is wrong with co-workers pc's before IT finally gets here.

Remember when we used the old black and white tv's for monitors, and a mouse was something you did not want in the house?
    I still remember the smell of the computer heating up...;lol
  16. mass_burner

mass_burner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    I struggled with Assembly in college, its one of those things that you get great value from just being exposed to and struggling with. Changes your way of thinking.
  17. mass_burner

mass_burner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    worked on all these over the years, and on the IBM mid-ranges, AS/400, been in SAP R3 for the last 20 years.
  18. Cynnergy

Cynnergy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coast, BC
    I programmed in FORTRAN while a uni student in 2002. Yes, it was in a physics lab. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose...
  19. aeblank

aeblank New Member

Loc:
    Cadillac, MI
    At my last job, they STILL use an AS400. Mmmmmmmmm, Mapics.
  20. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    What do you mean "still"? I just bought a brand new one a couple months ago. These ain't your dad's AS-400's anymore. They are throughput power houses. No down time, no viruses and rock solid speed machines. I run 13 stores across 3 states with an average response time of less than .6 seconds. This is for a company that is aiming at a hundred mill this year (employee owned). Go IBM. I also run 3 MS Servers for various applications and you could add all three together and the Power 7+ would eat them for breakfast (and they are no joke servers).
  21. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Back in the nineties we had an A/S400 at the offshore insurance subsidiary in Bermuda. Since it meant a trip to Bermuda we made sure it always needed attention for one reason or another. ;lol
    Joful, webfish, Jags and 1 other person like this.
  22. aeblank

aeblank New Member

Loc:
    Cadillac, MI
    I said still because the crazy thing is more than 15 years old.
    Apparently they make new ones too. =)
  23. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    They don't break. IBM just makes sure that as they get older the maintenance agreements make you want to move to a newer machine ($$$). I am on my 4th new one in 18 years.
  24. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    It was enough for me to support screen scraping off an as/400 for a shipping setup back in the day, man I spent many an hour on getting that setup working right. Pushing and Pulling that data between windows 98 and the mainframe was driving me nuts between all the driver issues with the serial ports and modem.. .and I couldn't even drink yet... boy were those the days.

I mention IRQ to these kids and they look at me with a blank stare, heaven forbid they have to find a right jumper just to get something working.
    Jags likes this.
  25. Retired Guy

Retired Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
    With a tape drive that sorta worked! I had an early 4K model and did the 16K upgrade - $400 I believe! Used to teach programming on Vic 20s.