1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Now, that's an ash pan!

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Enigma869, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Enigma869

Enigma869 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    So, I just emptied the ash pan on my Harman P68 for the very first time, and all I can say is WOW! Who knew an ash pan could excite a guy so much? Coming from the Harman Accentra insert the past three Winters, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The Accentra was a great stove, but the ash pan was beyond annoying. The thing needed to be emptied every 10 minutes! I'd be interested in hearing from other P68 owners on how frequently you empty this enormous ash pan? I'm so conditioned to emptying it every two days (in the Accentra, it's unmanageable after three days), that I'm just trying to get into a new rhythm with the P68. Could I actually burn a whole ton in one ash pan? Seems silly to ask but this pan is gigantic. I can see why they built a handle into the thing. This is going to make shutting the stove down in the dead of Winter a bit more manageable, just knowing that I don't need to do it, nearly as frequently.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dw06

dw06 Member

Loc:
    SW Pa
    Makes it nice for sure. I think I empty mine 3 times over the whole winter.
  3. bdaoust

bdaoust Member

Loc:
    Western, MA
    I use it summer to haul yard waste - <kidding> :)
    PJPellet and Bob Sorjanen like this.
  4. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    PC45 over 40 bags of ashy pellets easy.
  5. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    I use a dolley to get mine to the door.....hehehe
  6. rona

rona Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    southwestern Minn
    For about 25.00 a good tinsmith could make another one and then just open the door and switch while running then shut the door. No need to shut the stove off.
  7. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    While I don't have a p68, I empty my ash pan maybe every 40ish bags.
  8. Justin M

Justin M Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    I can go for weeks running 24/7 without emptying my ash pan in my Accentra insert. What kind of pellets did you burn?
  9. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

no need to shut it off anyways.......yank the bin out, close the door, run out and dump it,put it back.......worked me for 14 years now
  10. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    The last pellets I burned where a ton would fit in the ash pan, were DF's from out west. Actually, I don't think the pan was even close to full!..and they were only $174 a ton. But those days are loooong gone.

Anyway, the lowest ash pellets I've burned since are my current Orford softwoods. I'd be lucky if I could get 40 bags worth in the pan, and that's with a lot of Harman scraper tool compressings. NEWP and MC, I'll get about 15 bags. MWP, about 25.

Lousyweather is correct. If you don't have the time or ambition to shutdown and clean your stove, take your scraper tool, clean off the front couple inches of your burnpot, knock the stuff on the edges of the side ledges into the pan, and just empty it while the stove is running. Wear gloves! You'll need to clean up a little bit of ash but that'll take 2 seconds. Also, when reinstalling the pan, try not to snowplow ashes from the left side directly into the combustion fan. Actually, if it's that bad, your stove needs cleaning anyway.