Now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziprich

Sep 19, 2011
Western Md (Hagerstown)
Well last night i was having friends over, and i went to load the stove. it wasnt a full load just enough to get me a couple of hours intill my all night run. I went upstairs to hang with my friends while the stove fired up. And i forgot about the stove! When i remembered i ran down stairs and turned it back as fast as i could. I took a temp of the stove and the hottest part of the stove was around 1000 degrees!!! My question is did i do any damage and is there anything i can do now? Thanks for the help.

I do not know if you have done any damage, but you should take a look to see of there is any warping/cracks etc. When you turned it down, were any parts of the stove glowing red?

If it is any consolation- been there, done that. Some people set timers when they load the stove, I have chosen to use reloads as an opportunity to escape to the basement for some quiet time away from all the ladies in my home :).

I do not know if you have done any damage, but you should take a look to see of there is any warping/cracks etc. When you turned it down, were any parts of the stove glowing red?

If it is any consolation- been there, done that. Some people set timers when they load the stove, I have chosen to use reloads as an opportunity to escape to the basement for some quiet time away from all the ladies in my home :).
+1 i would do a good inspection.

I have had my stove so hot one time that a thermometer on the side of the stove slid off.

a very small part of the stove was orange. not red hot, if that make a difference. i will check the stove today for any warping and cracks. im not planing on leaving the stove again.

a very small part of the stove was orange. not red hot, if that make a difference. i will check the stove today for any warping and cracks. im not planing on leaving the stove again.
You are fine. Stoves don't really get fully "seasoned" until they "blush" a little.

I would think as long as it was for a short time, you probably didn't hurt it. Did you have the bypass open or closed? If it was closed I would check the whole stove especially the fire dome assembly for damage

This happens all too often. It's especially easy with basement stoves. I strongly suggest folks get a basic timer with a belt clip. Or put a temp alarm on the stove.

+1 i would do a good inspection.

I have had my stove so hot one time that a thermometer on the side of the stove slid off.

Wow. Steel/iron doesn't become non-magnetic until about 1300F. That is pretty hot.

Wow. Steel/iron doesn't become non-magnetic until about 1300F. That is pretty hot.
Um wow it said on the back of the box at can slid of at above 800. To be honest i had another one right beside it and it did not slid off. But the stove got pretty hot cause the glass cleaned up.

Status
Not open for further replies.