NPI-40 convection fan noise fix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockstarroar

Jan 2, 2013
Hello all,

I moved into a home last year that had a Napoleon NPI-40 Pellet stove insert installed. This is my first pellet stove experience and unfortunately it hasn't been a great one. The stove has had a unbearable noise issue since I've used it and also has not put out much in the way of heat (does not heat my 1750sqft home effectively).

After doing much research about my issue (found some great advice on this forum) I have found that this is a very common problem, but unfortunately I have not gotten a clear answer on the best way to deal with it.

At first It seemed like most people replaced the motor, sometimes multiple times and still had issues, however I saw very few follow ups from people as to whether they ever got a motor that was a "permenent fix".

I realized that the issue was the bearings so I took apart my motor and cleaned and lubed the bearings. this helped for about a week, then started back up again. I decided to replace the bearings and replaced with 608ssd21 bearings with what I could find locally which was 608zz (should be fine, but maybe there is something im not considering). Again worked great for about 3-4 days then started up the noise again.

After that, I did some more research and it seems that the motor is located too close to the stove and is over heating and burning out the rear bearing. It seems like that might be my issue, that bearing has the most drag after some use.

I have the W062-0021 (fasco 702111992) motor, I've heard of people replacing it with W062-0022, 0025, 0027, 0029, and 0030. I've also seen all of these motors available through various sites. I've heard of an elusive open C-frame motor, but only one website has a picture of that motor that corrosponds with the part number.... possibly the other sites use stock images from before they made the change over?

Called fasco, no help. Called napoleon, no help, but did say the new replacement part number was PSCB (pellet stove convection blower)..... can't find this available anywhere?

I also was toying with the idea of a alternative solution by retrofiting a Breckwell A-E-033A (or other model) to the stove. I saw it mentioned in the following forum, and the dimentions are exactly the same, however the motor seems to be located on the other side. I have enough room to the side of my pellet stove in inside the fire place (picture attached).
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/napoleon-i40-convection-blower-too-loud-to-run.59022/

I'm hoping to find a final solution to my problem. The motors are not cheap (200-250) and I don't want to be in the same boat as the people who have replaced them 4-5 times. I'm tired of taking apart my motor so frequently to clean or replace bearings. I also feel that the pellet stove isn't blowing out enough heat, assuming that the new motor might help?

It also couldn't hurt if it was inexpensive. Looks like there are a lot of cheaper motors out there.... don't mind modifying within reason to make it fit. :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 349
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 341
...I did some more research and it seems that the motor is located too close to the stove and is over heating and burning out the rear bearing. It seems like that might be my issue, that bearing has the most drag after some use.
Is it possible to mount some appropriate insulating material between the hot surface and the fan motor? Maybe even a thin slab of sheet metal mounted in between the two? Not touching either surface, something like a starter motor heat shield from header heat? Or like the heat shield under the car, between the catalytic converter and the undercarriage?

I also was toying with the idea of a alternative solution by retrofiting a Breckwell A-E-033A (or other model) to the stove. I saw it mentioned in the following forum, and the dimentions are exactly the same, however the motor seems to be located on the other side. I have enough room to the side of my pellet stove in inside the fire place (picture attached).
Might be a better solution as long as the housing is a mirror image of the original. It would put the motor far away from the heat, solving the failure mode of motor bearing overheating from close proximity to the hot firebox surface. Make sure the squirrelcage intake is unobstructed on that side and that the new squirrelcage/motor rotates in the correct direction.

The motor is pretty close to the outside of the unit, might be able to put something in between, but I'm thinking its just ambient temperatures/bad cooling design of the back bearing that are causing it to have problems. There seems to be a lot of other folks with the problem. I seem to have less problems (bearings last longer) by leaving the sides and top of to keep the fireplace around it exposed.

Room shouldn't be an issue, the fan would face the stove so it would pull some of the Ambient heat into and through heat exchangers (I think this would make it run more efficiently too?). Not sure if there is any wiring difference? Or if its all standard. Pictures have the same two wires coming off the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.