O.k. oak fans.....I need your help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
I was on the cousins farm on Saturday and I found several oak trees that he cut three or four years ago along a hayfield. The wood has a little rot on the outside just below the bark in some spots. The trees have been in the air so the wood is not laying in the ground. I can have the the trees...but my question is.....do I store it in my barn right away? I have both large doors and all the windows open for air flow. I don't want to store it outside uncovered with all the rain and snow....what does everyone recommend? It's going to be great wood if I do this right. Thanks everyone.

If you have the room it will slowly season in the barn. I have similar wood and have done ok stacking outside on pallets. I top cover for the winter.

If it's punky on the outer edge, you definitely need to keep it covered--in a shed or otherwise. That stuff will absorb water and not let go of it. Keeping it in a well-ventilated barn sounds like it would work, but don't expect to burn it for a while.

When I bought my house, there were several dead standing oak and a few already down. Needless to say, I burn a lot of punky wood. it can be difficult to get it completely dry. I have to clean my liner more often, but btus are btus.

Thanks everyone. I cut about a face cord on Saturday and split it today. I don't plan on burning it for at least two years. Wood is beautiful inside. I don't want to waste it. It's in my shed for now. Three days of rain right now. This is my first year burning 5 to 7 days a week. I am burning mostly red elm, white birch, cedar, and red norway pine. No oak this year.

In a shed or barn with lots of air flow should be great.
Probably ready next Fall.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Sunshine is all well and good, but it's air circulation that takes the moisture away. In a shed/barn is fine but on pallets off the floor/ground.

What happens to the wood inside depends on the barn design. Hay barns are exemplary. Tin sheds, not so good...I know this.
I just finished a standing dead Red Oak and the sapwood was rotted and the bark came off during splitting. Its outside covered with tin.
20151212_191605.jpg

I'll let you know if outside doesnt work.
20151214_205204.jpg

Full punk on the sapwood, love this pic. I got 25% MC on limbs 33% on some areas of trunk with one reading at 47%MC. Dead standing for 2 summers.

With plenty of air flow and space between the stacks you are probably fine as long as you give it time to dry. Maybe full two years. I just processed 2+/cords of white oak (36 dbh) down for more than two years and the trunk wood was still squeezing water like it was felled yesterday. Sapwood was a bit punky but top covered well should keep it dry. Wish I had a drafty barn. Nice score.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I'll let you know if outside doesnt work.
View attachment 169438
Full punk on the sapwood, love this pic. I got 25% MC on limbs 33% on some areas of trunk with one reading at 47%MC. Dead standing for 2 summers.
Thanks for all the replies. That's about how my oak looks. Not as pinkypinky all the way around the wood though. Thanks to everyone for all your help. Saturday is another cutting day! :cool:

With plenty of air flow and space between the stacks you are probably fine as long as you give it time to dry. Maybe full two years. I just processed 2+/cords of white oak (36 dbh) down for more than two years and the trunk wood was still squeezing water like it was felled yesterday. Sapwood was a bit punky but top covered well should keep it dry. Wish I had a drafty barn. Nice score.
I am thinking two full years at least. In the meantime I will burn a lot of birch and red elm.

Status
Not open for further replies.