OAK advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rparker

Feeling the Heat
Jul 17, 2011
Vermont
Decided to add an outdoor air kit. Looked at the price of manufacturer's kit and was less than enthusiastic. It seems like quite a bit for a piece of flex tube, a couple of clamps and a termination cap.
Any reason to not just go out and get my own pieces and do it myself?

make sure you use a metal flex pipe, not PVC. But no reason at all not to. I bought a kit for about 36 bucks because it had the screen and an inside wall plate. I can get you the info if you want. Let me know......another member turned me on to that.

Jim

I just want to the local auto parts store, and got a couple of pieces of 2" exhaust pipe. ~$12

rparker said:
Decided to add an outdoor air kit. Looked at the price of manufacturer's kit and was less than enthusiastic. It seems like quite a bit for a piece of flex tube, a couple of clamps and a termination cap.
Any reason to not just go out and get my own pieces and do it myself?

Did exactly this. Spent about $35 at Woodlands for a Simpson kit and about a half hour fabbing my own stove flange. I think my dealer quoted $130 for the Quad kit, and suggested I build my own.

Your gonna need to "fabricate" the piece that screws to the bottom of the stove. Its basically a flat plate, with a 2" hole drilled in the center. Then a 2" piece of pipe (about 2" in length) welded pr affixed to the plate. Pipe only has to be long enough to secure OAK vent, the plate only big enough to cover the hole and screw into floor.

Thats the only custom piece. The whole reason they charge as much as they do, is because the kit comes with a few custom pieces. That allow the kit to do the Santa Fe, Castile, and CB 1200. Although you only need the one. You pay for all of them. Kinda sucks.

If I knew then, what I know now. I would have made one. Didnt know any better and didnt know about Hearth.com.....

Jim H: very interested in the "kit" you have. Probably be a help to others on here also.
Question: is there a need for a thru-wall spacer like on the vent? I realize that the OAK is for cold air in but have seen instances (here) where stove exhausts out of the OAK during a power failure. Do not have a battery backup (yet).
Also is there a recommended height for the install?
Any and all help is VERY appreciated.

My installer told me that the OAK termination outside must be at least 12" above grade for code.

Jim H. said:
Here is the link for my setup.
Ok, here is a pic of the kit. You will have to search for where to purchase. I went thru Ebay but my link is old now.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/Outside_Air_Kit.html

Hope this works, The Kit is an englander.

Jim

England sure has a nice parts web page... easy to see what the parts look like and good explanations.

We used the England OAK on Max Gearhead's install and it was ez to use... but the automotive exhaust deal would have been in there if the stove had not come with an OAK.

Going to need to fabricate the collar assembly to attach to stove. Any info on size of plate, thickness of metal, etc?

rparker said:
Going to need to fabricate the collar assembly to attach to stove. Any info on size of plate, thickness of metal, etc?

Its about 2.75" x 4". Pretty thin steel. Maybe 1/16"-1/8" plate. Cut hole in center of plate. The collar is about 2" long. Could be less if you needed to. Just need about an inch to secure vent to it with a hose clamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.