Oak coal bed growing to fast!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah looks like you have 2 choices, remove them or burn them out. I do exactly what Pen does and at times I don't want to lose too much heat I try and clean out half the stove then spread out the remaining and reload.

I'm tellin' ya, when it gets cold, and I'm throwin' the wood to the Oslo, and the coal bed gets too high, and it so freakin' cold that I don't want to wait for coals to burn down, this is what I do....

SHOVEL 'EM OUT OF THERE

I mean, what are you guys collecting coals for? They have no use to me other than to keep me from crankin' out some serious heat when needed :)

So, I have this big, blue, enamelware cookpot with lid, and what I do is, shovel the coals out of the stove, into the cookpot, and then take that thing by the handles and carry it outside to a safe place so as not to start Pennsylvania on fire.....

yhst-91181333552265_2082_76012961

I try to mix in some more pine /less hardwood to keep it under control, or as mentioned pallet scraps, etc. work well too. Nice punky dry pine will help, and gets it out of the wood pile. I like the idea of saving some for the BBQ, I think I'll scavenge the coal pile outside later this spring and build up some BBQ stash :)

Hmmm . . . lot of questions about excessive coaling . . . perhaps not too coincidentally enough these all occurred around the same time . . . when the really cool weather moved in.

Generally, I don't have too much of a problem with excessive coaling . . . I did when I first started as I would tend to add wood to the stove too early instead of waiting. Nowadays I just wait it out a bit longer before reloading. This is one way to help reduce excessive coaling . . . plus when you get to the latter coaling stage you can open up the air and burn down the coals even more.

On these wicked cold days however I find myself wanting to add more wood sooner rather than later to keep the heat levels up . . . and when this happens I tend to get more coals. Every so often when the coals get too high I just toss in a small split (usually softwood), open up the air and run it wide open . . . in a half hour to 45 minutes the coals should be decreased dramatically.

I take out a few scoops with a shovel, into a bucket of water. Then I spread them out on an old window screen for a week or so. When they are dry they go into a big plastic trash can. Haven't bought charcoal in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.