oak drying time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
~*~vvv~*~ said:
Adios Pantalones said:
I killed one and left it standing. It was dry when I cut it down a year later- except for a few good rounds in the base which were completely saturated
makes me wonder if the oak wouldnt dry/drain better if it was stacked VERTICALLY!

In the sixties when I delivered feed back in the hills and hollars, some of the old timers had wood piles like beehives. I was more interested in their granddaughters than in wood piles at that time. Now I wish I had asked why they did that. The woodpiles that is.

I could easily set up a horizontal/vertical test. Any suggestions about what else to test at the same time? Results in two years folks. Don't hold your breath.

JimboM said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
In the sixties when I delivered feed back in the hills and hollars, some of the old timers had wood piles like beehives. I was more interested in their granddaughters than in wood piles at that time. Now I wish I had asked why they did that. The woodpiles that is.

I could easily set up a horizontal/vertical test. Any suggestions about what else to test at the same time? Results in two years folks. Don't hold your breath.

The "beehive" is a holz hausen, correct? I've been reading that will dry out green wood in three months? I'm skeptical of that. Do not want to hijack here, but anyone have any experience with that stacking technique?

Lucas, don't believe everything you read....especially on the Internet. 3 months to season wood? Maybe in a very controlled environment with heat and fans it could be done. In a heap? No way.

Backwoods Savage said:
Lucas, don't believe everything you read....especially on the Internet. 3 months to season wood? Maybe in a very controlled environment with heat and fans it could be done. In a heap? No way.

That's what I was thinking too. I know there are ways to speed up time, sort of like when I do experiments at work, but none that I've ever seen speed up time due to what I would consider "passive" forces. Usually they involve jacking up pressure, heat, cold, light, humidity, corrosive chemicals, etc. The thought that a passively stacked pile could season quicker while residing in the same environment with a traditional stack made me think no way. On the other hand, those beehives look neat to me, and I may make one just for the sake of making one.

Lukas060606 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

That's what I was thinking too. I know there are ways to speed up time, sort of like when I do experiments at work, but none that I've ever seen speed up time due to what I would consider "passive" forces. Usually they involve jacking up pressure, heat, cold, light, humidity, corrosive chemicals, etc. The thought that a passively stacked pile could season quicker while residing in the same environment with a traditional stack made me think no way. On the other hand, those beehives look neat to me, and I may make one just for the sake of making one.
Although there's never a consensus on anything here, majority opinion is that they dry somewhat slower than regular single stacks. They look cool, and are a good way to store lots of wood in a small space. I have one on 4 pallets about 8' high.

Lukas060606 said:
JimboM said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

The "beehive" is a holz hausen, correct? I've been reading that will dry out green wood in three months? I'm skeptical of that. Do not want to hijack here, but anyone have any experience with that stacking technique?

Those wood piles in holz hausen pictures look too good. Seems to me in my dim memory the piles were bark on the outside. I have never heard of holz hausen or seen any stacks that nice around here. Now, I have to find out. There were a lot of slabs in the old days. Maybe what I remember was slabs leaning up against wood piles. But that don't make sense.

My grandparents had three piles. The pile they were burning, the pile they would burn next year, and the pile they were making this year. They didn't stack, just made a big pile. Wood did everything. Heat, cook, and make hot water. At some point in the fifties, the aunts and uncles went together and built them an addition with a bathroom, hot/cold running water, indoor plumbing, and a gas stove in the kitchen. As I recall, PaPa was agin it, but the kids backed him down because they were tired of Grandma having to deal with wood and pumping water. There was a water pump in the kitchen right at the sink. So his opinion was that was as good as running water from an electric well.

It was a nice house that he had built with his own hands and raised a big family. To him it was perfect with an outhouse and hand pump water. When they got out of farming and moved to town, they got a TV. He turned it on and told me that the people on there lived in the TV all the time. Then he turned it off and back on and said see, there they are again. At the time I was to young to know that PaPa had dementia. Fortunately, there are hundreds of fantastic memories of him on the farm as we often spent days following him around and helping as we could. As was common, they raised everything. He had tractors, but preferred Don and Bob for cultivating the corn. We would ride on the cultivator with him and he would say to watch the horses feet - that they would never step on a plant. He was right. Even at the end of the rows, they would step around and rassel that big cultivator in to position and never crush a plant. Used to fascinate us. Four of the six aunts and uncles died from the complication of Alzheimer. Only my mother and her sister escaped. Big reason why I retired young. Didn't know if I was going to have an old age. So far so good.
So far so good.

I cleared my lot of oaks in mid March. This was before the tree started pushing up sap. The wood was very dry. I had another occasion to to take down a few trees just as the leaves had become full size in May. The wood seamed to be extreme wet. So based on my unscientific observation I'd agree with your uncle.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.