OAK for Quadra-Fire Mt Vernon AE standalone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
I've read a lot of the posts on the subject of OAKs. WHEW!! Lots of opinions. Unfortunately none of the posts answered my questions, so here goes. As the subject line indicates I've got a Mt Vernon AE standalone installed on my sunporch and vented up through the roof. It was installed by the dealer and the techs did a GREAT job. I'm seriously considering installing an OAK. Probably should have had it done during the initial install but got mixed opinions from the sales people. I'll attempt it my self. I'm a pretty handy guy. Anyhow, here are the questions:
1. Can someone tell me if the kit can be installed without moving the stove out from ther wall? In other words, can I squeeze it in. The back of the stove is about 10" from the wall. I know it's tight but I hate to move the unit.
2. The intake would be on my patio about 10" - 12" off the surface. Would being that close to the ground be problematic? Obviously the intake will suck in snow. Will that cause a problem with the stove? Is the combustion fan strong enough to suck in rain?
3. How far from the outside wall does the vent stick out? I've got an OAK on my gas furnace. It sticks out about 6"
4. Any idea on costs?

Thank you to all who read this and take the time to give me a hand. It is certainly appreciated.

Hard to say whether or not you get it done w/o moving the stove....we don't know what tools you have access to.

As for the OAK being close to the ground, YES, the snow will clog the screen and choke the stove....learned this from 1st hand experience during blizzard 2 winters ago. And mine is 3' off the ground! Don't think it will suck in rain....they come w/ a small "cover".

The typical pellet stove OAK only sticks out about 3/4".

Cheapest price I've seen is from DynamiteBuys.com....$45.
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1453

I also bought the kit from Dynamite buys for my AE.

2. The intake would be on my patio about 10" - 12" off the surface. Would being that close to the ground be problematic? Obviously the intake will suck in snow. Will that cause a problem with the stove? Is the combustion fan strong enough to suck in rain?
Yes that's a problem. The vent should be above the anticipated snow line. In you case about 3 feet off the deck.
My OAK sticks out the back of my chimney chase (insert obviously) The stainless cap protrudes about two inches and is three feet off the ground. The cost to have the dealer install it was about $180 during fall of 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.