OAK for stove in FP hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Adahn

Hearth Supporter
Oct 12, 2007
I'm researching OAK routing to deal with occasional (really just start up/reload) draft issues in the setting of occasional negative pressure elsewhere (dryer, kitchen/bathroom vents) and cold air drafts in a medium well insulated home. The centrally placed chimney in this late 1800's house has 4 flues for different floors, such that the hearth that currently houses the woodstove sits directly over the basement site of the original wood/coal burning appliance ( gas boiler current location).

So, where would one route ducting for an OAK? I'm assuming remove a firebrick or two in the FP floor and work straight down through the masonry to the basement (jackhammer? holesaw?) . From there, the easy part , I'd have to run duct out between the joists through the foundation (perhaps a total 10-12' run)to a vent about 1-2' above grade under the wood porch.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Most likely the area under the fireplace in the basement is solid masonry foundation supporting the fireplace and chimney. Before attempting such a project look closely at the floor above's windows, openings and attic access to make sure they are sealed tightly.

To clarify, current woodstove is on first floor. The current gas boiler is located directly below it in the basement, at the chimney's foundation. Each has its own metal liner in a separate brick flue. The other two brick flues are unused/blocked off.

So OAK duct would theoretically pass down from current stove's hearth into 'boiler room' below, before routing across basement ceiling to exterior.

To clarify, current woodstove is on first floor. The current gas boiler is located directly below it in the basement, at the chimney's foundation. Each has its own metal liner in a separate brick flue. The other two brick flues are unused/blocked off.

So OAK duct would theoretically pass down from current stove's hearth into 'boiler room' below, before routing across basement ceiling to exterior.
Yes we understand that. But going through the floor of a fireplace is no small feat. I have done it in as little as an hour or as much as 12 hours. I would sugest the same as bg check for airleaks in the upper levels. This causes a stack effect and reduces pressure on the lower levels.