OAK halfway up chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annihilation

Nov 21, 2016
Maryland
Hello,

I am new here and trying to learn about my stove and pellet stoves in general. Thank you for all of your contributions to this great website.

I was wondering if I could use galvanized round duct pipe out the back of my pellet stove intake (GC60) halfway up my chimney, then use fiberglass insulation to insulate around the pipes. The OAK pipe would be in proximity to the exhaust pipe. Would this be OK for a quick OAK solution?

What type of cap would work on the OAK pipe in this situation and do I need one at all?

Thanks Gentlemen and Ladies!

Matt

I would check and see if that would pass code. My thought on it is no. Lets say you run it that way and a few years down the line the exhaust develops a leak in it. Now you're sucking in exhaust gasses into the stove as fresh air which would lead to a nasty burn which would make the exhaust gas worse and that would be sucked into the stove. I would think in the end a large part of this stuff would end up in the house which could be fatal. If it was me I would run it all the way to the top and out. JMHO
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.