Oak ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasufel

Feeling the Heat
Nov 8, 2015
Northern Virginia
I started bucking a fallen tree that appears to be some kind of oak but it was unusual enough that I wanted to check with the group here. It had been standing dead for years--long enough to start getting punky, which made the ID more difficult--and finally fell over. I was in no hurry to process it because the bark looked like pine or some other softwood. I finally went at it, mostly to get it out of the way, and was surprised to find that it was a lot harder to buck than pine. It has rays and a faint smell reminiscent of oak, but the bark and wood look different than the red oak that's very common around me. I have a few white oaks here and was wondering if that's what this is. Or is this something entirely different?
Bark.jpg Grain.jpg Rays.jpg

white oak (Quercus alba)

That's the only punk after years!!! White oak magic!

Reactions: Hasufel
Nice find! Wish I could get some.........LOL

Great wood, white oak for sure..

Having a rack of split white oak smells wonderful, and it lasts awhile.
A visit to the KY bourbon warehouses will give you some idea of the white oak component in the bourbon aging process.
http://kybourbontrail.com

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Having a rack of split white oak smells wonderful, and it lasts awhile.
A visit to the KY bourbon warehouses will give you some idea of the white oak component in the bourbon aging process.
http://kybourbontrail.com
Maybe that explains why splitting a few rounds put me in the mood to go have a drink! ;)

Finished bucking it today. There's a lot of good heartwood in there, even if it's a bit punky around the edges. MM says the MC is around 40%, so it already has a bit of a head start on seasoning. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to red oak!

Status
Not open for further replies.