Oak install....3' straight shot or approx 5'-6' S curve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
want to do a straight shot approx 3' out through the back wall of the fireplace but I still am having a problem visualizing how I pull the (outside end) of the flex pipe back through the opening in the chimney, so that I can reattach it too the outside dryer vent housing. What would seem easier and always attached would be a longer section, probably in an "S" shape that would be able to handle the movement of pulling the stove out, and pushing the stove back in. Need help here! Off to the hardware store to get a mini mirrow to peer into my hopper and determine if I do indeed have the adjustable auger cover. Bill

The longer "S" curve is not a bad idea as long as you can guarantee that it does not get pinched when the stove is rolled back into the opening. I was thinking of some similar.

Here is another idea:
Have a thimble that accepts a 3" pipe and mount that on the inside of the fire place (the main purpose of this is to keep a smooth hole, a 3" thimble will have a 3 1/4 ID). Permanently mount a really extra long 3" rigid metal tube to the fresh air inlet on the back of the stove. It has to be long enough so that as you pushing the stove in there is still enough room to reach in behind the stove and align it to the thimble opening. Then push the stove the rest of the way in. The pipe should then stick through the hole on the outside of the chimney were you can now connect the dryer vent with a critter screen. Depending on how thick your chimney wall is, how long the ridged pipe is and how flexible you are will depend on how much pipe is sticking outside.

Thanks BradH70, I have most of what I need, but where do I get a thimble? It was probably right in front of me at home depot and I missed it......Bill

You may be able to find one HD but your best bet would be the stove shop. They will have a 3" thimble. Just get the cheapest one if this is the route you are going to take. Make sure that the pipe you intend on using will freely slide through thimble.

Status
Not open for further replies.