oak on craigslist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgcsalsero

Feeling the Heat
Mar 15, 2006
ClevelandRocks
Pics of oak I went to see today. I know its hard to tell on pics like these, but I think there may be 3 cords worth here. Left log in 1st pic is 20 in. dia. x 10 ft, left log in 2nd pic is 30 in. dia. x 6 ft. I'm interested if anyone has an opinion of whether its worth mentioning to home owner if they should seek out a dude with portable saw mill, seems like a lot of usable board ft. in those logs.

Attachments

• oak0001.JPG
    oak0001.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 378
  • oak0002.JPG
    oak0002.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 379
if the price is right, I say grab it and ready it for burning! Given the relatively small amount, it probably isn't commercially viable for lumber, just a guess on my part though.

If that tree was cut down in a yard, the risk of metal from nails (birdhouses, horse fence wire, engine hoists, etc.)or metal is too high to risk a blade.
Probably too short too, except for maybe someone building pallets.

Firewood.

There is not enough there for it to be worthwhile for a mill to get it hauled to them. But there's enough there to be worthwhile for you to haul to your house. ;-)

Thanks, I'm a cheap s.o.b. now that I have a logger connection so doubt they'll like my offer . . I'm actually thinking of getting a grapple load in the next couple weeks, I've put on 5lbs since Christmas so I gotta start swinging my marauder maul

Around here they'd be glad to get someone to remove it for free. I usually don't even have to (get to?) buck the logs, and sometimes they even help load. Tell them you'll only charge 'em half what the tree service wanted to haul it away.

They might help cut it up into smaller pieces and throw on your truck if you remind them how carpenter ants and termites like to move from felled wood to nice soft house lumber and plywood. :)
How close is their house ?

They haven't responded . . . yet . . its 20 miles so its a stretch. I'm getting an elm cabled on my property and struck up a conversation with the foreman, there's always another opportunity around the corner . .

Just going by the photos, there is only one or two that might be of value to a sawmill, and if they are urban trees, they most likely are not interested, as previously stated about metal and such in them. The rest are too knotty or crooked for quality lumber. Block them up and swing that maul.

Status
Not open for further replies.