Oak questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRA

Feeling the Heat
Nov 24, 2014
north shore ma
New to burning and first year with pellet stove. I have a winslow pi40 and it's working great since having it installed early October. The stove has a fresh air intake aka taking air from inside the house. My question to the veterans is how easy is it to install the oak. Will removing a few bricks and putting in a double sided screen work? Maybe a stupid question, however as I said I am new to all of this.

Thanks

It's not a stupid question at all.

It would, however, be easier to answer your question if you would post a few pics of your installation and where you want the OAK inlet to go.

Good luck!

JRA,
X 2 with FTG-05 said. We need pics or drawings with a detailed description to advise. Pics worth a thousand words.

Not sure why they are sideways. Pictures are as follows. Outside look at chimney, view from stove to house, and picture of stove

Turn your phone horizontal and try to repost. This just backed my theory of holding the phone vertical that the pics spin possibly. I see your phone held vertically and can tell by shots of other pics. Rolling the dice here!

Also some details of house construction type.

20141228_142027.jpg 20141228_142539.jpg 20141228_142052.jpg

First image of chimney second image is view from stove and third is stove itself

First image of chimney second image is view from stove and third is stove itself
Did the horizontal phone deal work? Pics are right....

You should be able to get thru the mortar joints pretty easy with a hammer drill and knock out what you need. I would probably roll with it until spring and enjoy the heat as is for now. This will give you plenty of time to research your options. I would still pipe it and seal the penetrations so nothing affects your chimney. I see a couple of vents all the way up the stack. I assume one is for the pellet stove. Is that right? And what is the other one? The old wood burning chimney cap?

Whatever you do keep the integrity of stuff in tact. I think you could get an OAK out without much trouble but you will be hacking away on your chimney and brick to a small degree. There are many here that have done what you are inquiring about. Search some threads on it and others will chime in with good methods and ideas.

Do you have a basement with anything being vented up the chimney?

second cap is for my oil I think? Flue tile had to be fixed as well as chimney re-pointed. I have a 4inch liner that goes from stove to chimney with a stainless cap.

Do you have a basement and an oil fired furnace down there? You are going to have to figure a few things out not to upset the apple cart. Need to figure out if it's worth it for you. Many will go out an exterior clean out. I'd get a good game plan before you make a move for starters.

Thank you, yes I have an oil burning furnace and I do have a basement. I will definitely do so more researching and make a decision next season. My house is very warn and the stove is functioning great. Not in a huge rush just wanted to get my bearings and see what others thought. Appreciate your help bags

What are we supposed to be looking for in the picture with the stairs? The Christmas tree??? NVM

With your setup, is it possible to install the OAK inlet in the chimney chase itself? We did that when we installed our Englander 30-NC, but that's a wood stove standing alone vs. an insert. Not sure what's behind an insert.

Good luck!

The pictures are to show setup and purpose of stove. I have a multilevel home and we get great heat with the current setup on first and second floor (point of installing stove in the first place was to save on oil heat by using a renewable energy source). I was asked to share the details of the setup which I felt would include the stove itself, vantage point from the stove and chimney. The point was to ask someone who has more experience with a pellet stove how an oak can be installed and if it's a viable option with my current setup. FTG glad you like the tree pic and thanks for the input

Run the oak pipe right up the chimney next to your 4" liner if there is room. That is how I didi mine

Hoping one of the installers will chime in, but also suspect you can go up chimney beside liner. If not and you need to go through bricks, renting a coring drill for a half day will probably make the job much easier and produce a cleaner install than a hammer drill or punching out bricks. Remember to use metal duct for the OAK (no plastic). You only need about a 2" duct for the OAK (possibly 3" if going all the way to top of chimney, but check stove specs). Terminate with screened metal duct hood if going through hole in bricks, and caulk outside to prevent water from running / seeping in around outer edge of duct.

Status
Not open for further replies.