Oak Score....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigIron

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2014
Peru, IL
The other day I was on grandpa's property looking for trees that need to be taken out. It's tough getting around through the property with creeks and ravines everywhere, but I was able to build a bridge and use my 4-wheeler to maneuver through the brush. Found about 10 dead standing oak trees that I can harvest and a couple others on the ground. Wanted to share with you all. Happy New Year and happy cutting and burning.

I wish I had more access to oak. I get very little if any. Now black locust, ash, mulberry, hackberry, black walnut, black cherry, and soft maple are a different story.

Isn't it fun walking through the woods during the winter, looking at the trees and selecting which ones to harvest.

Reactions: TheBigIron
I don't have much access to oak either I was pretty excited to find that clump of trees. All the oak that is still standing is healthy and growing still. All those species you speak of well let's say they are abundant to me as well.

Congratulations on the nice score! Oak is my favorite. I'm lucky because red oaks are pretty common around me. The stuff splits cleanly and burns well, and you can't beat the smell when it's green. Enjoy!

Reactions: TheBigIron
I will send pics once I go down and start cutting!!!!:)

Good deal. Oak is not easy to come by here unless you own a tree company.

I heard someone say that trees on the ground soak up moisture and can be water logged if there awhile.
I believe that to be true, but who am I;).... I think that if you can find them dead and still standing or fallen but not onto the ground is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.