Oak slab sealant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
I had a dozen trees taken down in preparation for a detached garage. Tree company left a 5' tall oak base that's roughly 42" across. I didn't mind them not cutting it because it will make for some nice oak slabs. I cut the base with my 395 & to my notice, no rot, beautiful grain patterns. I cut another 2" "cookie" and plan on using it as a tabletop for a screened in porch. Any product to help preserve it from checking?

I've used Rockler's "Green Wood End Sealer" on a couple logs, which I have yet to saw, and it seems to be doing the trick. http://www.rockler.com/green-wood-end-sealer-select-option

A couple of the logs have been cut and stored since late April, and there's absolutely no end grain checking on them yet. I have a couple unsealed logs that were cut at the same time, and they developed checking within about a week, so it's definitely doing the trick.

Another popular product is called "AnchorSeal", but I haven't used it. I have a Rockler outlet store nearby; I would have had to mail-order the AnchorSeal.

I would also recommend that you mount your tabletop onto some form of "sub-base" - slightly smaller in diameter than the cookie, so you don't normally see it. An end-grain top like that will be very weak (think how easy it would be to split 2" high firewood), and needs extra reinforcement, so it doesn't break the first time you drop something on it.

Here's some photos for comparison. The BL was cut 4th of July, and the BC at the end of April.

image.jpg image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.