OAK with new Quadra Fire Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimT004

Feb 21, 2013
Hello all. I just had a quadra fire castile insert installed two days ago. I am really looking to heat an area with about 1500 square feet. My house was always a little drafty but seems like the drafts are worse after installation. My thermostat is only 18' from the pellet stove and has not gone over 70 degrees. I am guessing the drafty windows and doors will contribute to the temp not getting to high. I am reading that if I do not have an outside air kit, the stove will draw air from any drafts (path of least resistance) and the room will not warm up. Do I need to install an outside air kit to reduce the drafts and pull the air from the outside? I will be addressing the drafts anyway but keep reading that the stove will draw from any area it can. Please help! Thanks!!

Hello all. I just had a quadra fire castile insert installed two days ago. I am really looking to heat an area with about 1500 square feet. My house was always a little drafty but seems like the drafts are worse after installation. My thermostat is only 18' from the pellet stove and has not gone over 70 degrees. I am guessing the drafty windows and doors will contribute to the temp not getting to high. I am reading that if I do not have an outside air kit, the stove will draw air from any drafts (path of least resistance) and the room will not warm up. Do I need to install an outside air kit to reduce the drafts and pull the air from the outside? I will be addressing the drafts anyway but keep reading that the stove will draw from any area it can. Please help! Thanks!!

I think you've already answered your own question. Add the OAK & you'll be glad you did.

Installing an oak will cut down on the draft. The system is not going to be 100% efficient because the intake on quadrafire stoves is not sealed so the stove will still consume some inside air. This is just a factory design. There is also the fact that cutting an uninsulated hole to the outside also contributes to heat loss. In other words, installing an oak isn't a substitution to properly sealed doors and windows, it's just a small piece of the pie.

OAK is the only way to go IMO... The OAK will compensate for issues in both old and new home construction. Newer houses are more ``air tight`` while older homes can have numerous issues with little or no insulation or varying quality on windows & doors that will pull in cold outside air from those points.

Got bad advice when we purchased the stove and installed the OAK about 2 or 3 weeks later. Always learning...

Do it asap. i buddy put one in and cut back on a full less ton of pellets used!

Status
Not open for further replies.