1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Steve T

Steve T New Member

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    What does OAK stand for?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Happy Hour

Happy Hour New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Outside Air Kit.
  3. Steve T

Steve T New Member

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    Thanks. What does it do for efficiency?
  4. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    Out Side Air Kit . Its a pipe that connects to your stove and draws air from outside your home Instead of using the air inside. When you use the air from inside your house any cracks or drafts in your home has the cold air from outside drawn into your house. By using an oak it significantly cuts down on the drafts
  5. TriMom

TriMom New Member

Why do some dealers say they are not necessary and never install them? What does it say about them as a dealer? We are in the shopping stage.
  6. glenc0322

Loc:
    long Island NY
    If you are having the dealer install your stove have him put an OAK in regardless of what he says . If he says that he never puts them in tell him that he will not be able to say that after your stove. If you are going through the wall with your exhaust use the thimble that has the oak built in so you only make one hole through your wall. What type of stoves are you looking for? and most important thing about buying a stove is the dealers service dept incase you need him that he is qualified and professional. Good luck and post pictures when you have your new stove installed
  7. TriMom

TriMom New Member

We are trying to decide fireplace insert or free standing. One dealer told me if we did insert, to do OAK he'd have to drill out back of firebox where another said he would run it up the chimney. I need to post diagram of our house to get some advice for best location.
  8. glenc0322

Loc:
    long Island NY
    Dont Drill out the back of the fire box. If you ever go to sell the house having a hole in the chimney is a bad. Go up through the chimney
  9. berg

berg New Member

Loc:
    utah
    how long can I run a oak.. I need to go into my garage from family room and up out the roof... is there any diminished value ina long run?
    I figured I'd put a couple 90* elboes at the termination up top?

Opinions?