Observation on wood scrounging and drying.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos

Oct 13, 2009
CT
Seems to me that wood gathering/ scrounging, IDing, drying in wood shed or building a wood shed are the things that we are actually after!

Is burning the wood the bonus?

What do you guys think?

All part of the sickness. Happily all of the activities you list go well with beer.

SolarAndWood said:
All part of the sickness. Happily all of the activities you list go well with beer.

+1 "hiccup"

Beats the heck out of the oil/gas addiction which afflicts the magority of the country.

I rarely know what kind of tree it is unless I see the leaves. I've come to realize I don't care what kind of wood it is. I figure it'll burn and beggers can't be choosers. I just like seeing my racks fill up.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
I rarely know what kind of tree it is unless I see the leaves. I've come to realize I don't care what kind of wood it is. I figure it'll burn and beggers can't be choosers. I just like seeing my racks fill up.

Matt

Yep. I never can identify the stuff. I have red oak, white and that other stuff.

EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

I'm sitting on 4 cords of oak that's been cut+split for 18 months, and I'm digging around it for pine and poplar I cut 6 months ago. I think it makes a lot less difference in an air-tight stove. As far as I'm concerned the best burning wood is the stuff closest to the house.

EatenByLimestone said:

Matt
Full racks ARE nice to see!

I can identify every type of wood that is in our wood pile but it is the end result that really counts. On those cold winter days or nights when you are warmed by that wood you worked so hard to get; that is what it is all about.

sometimes i hate to burn my wood piles. someone else should let me burn thier's

I spent a good part of today cutting and splitting logs that were felled last year. Alot of oak, beech, holly, sweet gum, walnut, and juniper (red cedar). Had a couple of beers in the process.

I enjoy the whole process from finding the wood to burning it, but I think splitting is my favorite part. I would split wood even if I wasn't going to burn it. This weekend I was camping with the cub scouts and we split about a 1/2 cord of oak that was stacked in rounds ready to split, and left it for the next guys to burn.

Funny....my wife thinks I started burning wood to save money. Little did she know.....

EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

My identifying abilities are limited to: split, un-split, seasoned, unseasoned.

Bigg_Redd said:
Few things in this world make me as happy as seeing my truck heaped with firewood.
......and beer. :coolsmile:

I like the burning best, definitely. Of course I am a pyromaniac since childhood . . .

I feel powerful when I split wood, but I wish there wasn't so much I still have to split. Mind you I am glad I have the wood, but I am way behind on splitting this year. We have mostly crappy wood, mainly willow and box elder from neighbors, and apple from our own dead trees. My hubby has rotator cuff problems and cracks his ribs once in a while, so I do a lot of splitting myself.

Bigg_Redd said:
Few things in this world make me as happy as seeing my truck heaped with firewood.

A truck bed full of wood is good . . . a wood shed full with split, stacked and seasoned wood is even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.