Observations buring the 30NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
I love this stove and the more I play with it I discover how to better use it for my purposes.

Latest trick is to pile some thin slice splits of blocust (aka black locust) on the top of the pile almost up against the tubes.
What happens then is the blocust burns really hot and being so close to the tubes - the tubes quickly turn cherry red.

At this point I can back it down and sort of smolder the wood like a BK would do with its CAT. This produces a very hot 2ndary combustion that burns the smoke completely such that the fire box has no flame or smoke in it except at the tubes. Deck temps are very hot and the wood is burning slowly and smoke is burning completely.

Analogous to the CAT, the key is to get the tubes cherry red hot then back off on the air.

The tubes act like a CAT - but you have to keep an eye on it and babysit the intake to maintain this optimal state.

The glass is crystal clear and there is no visible smoke or flame except blue gas jets at the top.

Dang this little toy is fun to play with.

How do I transplant a BK thermostat into it

If you tell me how - I promise to toss out my magic heat reclaimer

SmokeyCity said:
I love this stove and the more I play with it I discover how to better use it for my purposes.

Latest trick is to pile some thin slice splits of blocust (aka black locust) on the top of the pile almost up against the tubes.
What happens then is the blocust burns really hot and being so close to the tubes - the tubes quickly turn cherry red.

At this point I can back it down and sort of smolder the wood like a BK would do with its CAT. This produces a very hot 2ndary combustion that burns the smoke completely such that the fire box has no flame or smoke in it except at the tubes. Deck temps are very hot and the wood is burning slowly and smoke is burning completely.
Analogous to the CAT, the key is to get the tubes cherry red hot then back off on the air.

The tubes act like a CAT - but you have to keep an eye on it and babysit the intake to maintain this optimal state.

The glass is crystal clear and there is no visible smoke or flame except blue gas jets at the top.

Dang this little toy is fun to play with.

How do I transplant a BK thermostat into it

If you tell me how - I promise to toss out my magic heat reclaimer

this is almost exactly what i used to do with my little cfm stove. we would get it good and hot with a good coal bed and toss fresh splits on top, turn down the draft completely, and fill the upper part of the box with secondary burn. if we stacked the logs high enough it would burn finger-like indents in to the surface! the stove burned as hot like this as it did with the draft full open... and it burned slower!
our glass was always clean and the chimney only accumulated small amounts of soot... nearly no creosote.

Replace it with a 55 gallon barrel stove. You will love it.

BrotherBart said:

BB is fired up!

BrotherBart said:
Hey dont knock those 55 Gal drum stoves ,i happen to have the double barrel version in the Bsmt of a home im rehabbing and the NC-30 up in the living room.
I run both stoves on very cold days. THose barrel stoves throw a lot of heat although no reburn. Not bad for about $75 and 2 used oil drums

oh boy are you in trouble :)

trump said:
BrotherBart said:
Hey dont knock those 55 Gal drum stoves ,i happen to have the double barrel version in the Bsmt of a home im rehabbing and the NC-30 up in the living room.
I run both stoves on very cold days. THose barrel stoves throw a lot of heat although no reburn. Not bad for about $75 and 2 used oil drums

Status
Not open for further replies.