1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Occasionally burning coal in a wood stove

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by schatham, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schatham

schatham New Member

Loc:
    VA
    I've got a Fisher wood stove - a Mama Bear model, I believe (it's a single door, with the handle on the left side, a screw-driven draft on the left side, and an after-market temperature selectable draft on the right side).

I'd like to use some coal I've got around the house as a fuel for it. I can say that as of right now, my plans would be maybe to load a lump or two of it at night in there, or while I'm gone during the day, more or less as a mix with wood. I know that a coal fire can & will be much hotter than a wood fire, so I would be looking at it only as a supplement to what I'm burning now.

Again - my only intention is as to burn a little coal along as a supplement to what I burn now.

Any drawbacks to this?

I'm not able to find anything on Fisher wood stoves, so I don't really know the temperature ratings on these.

Also, as an alternative fuel, I am looking for something to supplement the wood I am burning now - mostly hardwood. Anything cost-effective (i.e. cheap) but good? Can't depend on the junk mail to supply with a steady stream this year.......

I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dill

Dill Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwood NH
    Pallets, if you can find them. Get a spare saw with a junk bar and chain to cut them up. And you'll have to shift for nails if you put the ashes in your garden.
  3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I use some coal at night when i can get it.(My stove is rate for coal/wood)
  4. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
  5. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    we have a bag of coal in our basement from years ago when (apperantly) they heated with coal. How can I tell what kind it is?
  6. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    I was always told you need grates in a stove if you plan on burning coal. In our old Shenandoah r65 we burned coal for a week one time and I wasn't as pleased as I thought I be. But that aside I'm a big believer in burning coal...in a coal stove. Coal stoves are special.
  7. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    It's been my experience that anthracite coal is relatively hard and shiny, while bituminous coal is somewhat soft, dull, chalky looking. As a guide, wikipedia displays anthracite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthracite

and bituminous coal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bituminous_coal

I would think there should be no issues burning small amounts of either type in a wood stove.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.