Not open for further replies.
  1. schatham

schatham
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 27, 2008
    Loc:
    VA
    I've got a Fisher wood stove - a Mama Bear model, I believe (it's a single door, with the handle on the left side, a screw-driven draft on the left side, and an after-market temperature selectable draft on the right side).

I'd like to use some coal I've got around the house as a fuel for it. I can say that as of right now, my plans would be maybe to load a lump or two of it at night in there, or while I'm gone during the day, more or less as a mix with wood. I know that a coal fire can & will be much hotter than a wood fire, so I would be looking at it only as a supplement to what I'm burning now.

Again - my only intention is as to burn a little coal along as a supplement to what I burn now.

Any drawbacks to this?

I'm not able to find anything on Fisher wood stoves, so I don't really know the temperature ratings on these.

Also, as an alternative fuel, I am looking for something to supplement the wood I am burning now - mostly hardwood. Anything cost-effective (i.e. cheap) but good? Can't depend on the junk mail to supply with a steady stream this year.......

I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

2. Dill

Dill
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 14, 2008
    Loc:
    Northwood NH
    Pallets, if you can find them. Get a spare saw with a junk bar and chain to cut them up. And you'll have to shift for nails if you put the ashes in your garden.

3. smokinj

smokinj
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I use some coal at night when i can get it.(My stove is rate for coal/wood)

4. Corey

Corey
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Midwest
  5. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 29, 2008
    Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    we have a bag of coal in our basement from years ago when (apperantly) they heated with coal. How can I tell what kind it is?

6. savageactor7

savageactor7
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 25, 2008
    Loc:
    CNY
    I was always told you need grates in a stove if you plan on burning coal. In our old Shenandoah r65 we burned coal for a week one time and I wasn't as pleased as I thought I be. But that aside I'm a big believer in burning coal...in a coal stove. Coal stoves are special.

7. Corey

Corey
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Midwest
    It's been my experience that anthracite coal is relatively hard and shiny, while bituminous coal is somewhat soft, dull, chalky looking. As a guide, wikipedia displays anthracite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthracite

and bituminous coal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bituminous_coal

I would think there should be no issues burning small amounts of either type in a wood stove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.