Oceans filling up with plastic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Seems every week there is more bad news on the condition of the oceans. For those of us who eat a lot of seafood its disconcerting to hear we may be eating plastic soup with every meal.I guess its true everything eventually does wind up in the ocean. How is this affecting the food we harvest from the sea? It cant be good for our health.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...out-100-000-000-000-000-Particles-of-Plastic#

Water full of plastic and fish poop. No wonder I don't eat much fish. <>

Koo Koo Ka Choo Mrs. Robinson.

Reactions: Ashful
people stupid or lack common sense
10403323_757174207647351_2651893226412590825_n.jpg

Ok. Cattle can die when they eat plastic twine, and there are approximately 200,000,000,000,000 pieces of microscopic plastic lint fibers frozen in artic sea ice. Same stuff you pull out of your dryer every week. (article drops 3 zeros in headline)

Cows will get impacted by eating lint fibers from melting sea ice? :confused:

people stupid or lack common sense
...to deal with glass bottles. Remember the days when you cut your feet open at the beach on all the pop top tabs and bottle caps littering the shore?

recycling seems like a hassle to most people in these fast paced times.

No matter how polluted water may get , rainwater has the benefit of a complete cleansing with each rain/evaporation cycle. Only danger there is air pollution getting picked up on the way down. Luckily the air in the US seems to be getting cleaner, but we now get pollutants from china and asia traveling east. The ocean on the other hand will have this plastic problem and pollution for many generations to come.

No matter how polluted water may get , rainwater has the benefit of a complete cleansing with each rain/evaporation cycle. Only danger there is air pollution getting picked up on the way down. Luckily the air in the US seems to be getting cleaner, but we now get pollutants from china and asia traveling east. The ocean on the other hand will have this plastic problem and pollution for many generations to come.
remember acid rain? we shouldn't have any fresh water life by now! still there but corrected the ph and probably over hyped, still a positive for mother nature and man . ever try to grow grass under an oak? plastic disposal is human lazzzzzzzzzzzzzzziness showing! hanover, mass. still has yet to have mandatory recycling?

Acid rain didn't magically go away. It went away because of govt mandated reductions in SO2 emission, billions of dollars in scrubbers, refinery refits, finding different coal sources, a process that is still underway with ULSD. I guess it was a bunch of hype. You don't hear much about that ozone hole thing anymore either, whats up with that?

Had some copper flashing put on my roof a few years ago. Darn stuff turned brown instead of green. Apparently not enough SO2 in the air these days to make it turn green.

we have recycled since the 1950's on. boxes, unless destroyed. each one used saves $. steel screen from stihl face sceens $. cardboard $ (from disposal). leather offal to polish stainless chain $, poly foam to foam recycle no $ ($ for no disposal).

Reactions: woodgeek
Acid rain didn't magically go away. It went away because of govt mandated reductions in SO2 emission, billions of dollars in scrubbers, refinery refits, finding different coal sources, a process that is still underway with ULSD. I guess it was a bunch of hype. You don't hear much about that ozone hole thing anymore either, whats up with that?

Had some copper flashing put on my roof a few years ago. Darn stuff turned brown instead of green. Apparently not enough SO2 in the air these days to make it turn green.
never implied it's magic

Reactions: woodgeek
Streams and waterways are getting progressively cleaner around here. The local sewer auth is currently building a new (GIANT $40 million project) Sewer plant to deal with new Govt mandates on nitrogen. I guess its a good thing despite the high cost for such a small town. Local coal operators still pollute streams legally with regularity.They discharge their black water at night so it dont look so bad.

recycling seems like a hassle to most people in these fast paced times.
Not true. It takes collective will and a good system. Seattle is doing well at recycling in these fast paced times. They recycle about 60%! of all trash now. And much of Europe including Paris is good at recycling. Actually all of France. They have a national recycling program. Make it simple, cheap and ubiquitous and it will happen. Why pay for expensive garbage collection when recycling is free?

PS: Why the hell aren't soda can rings biodegradable ;?;ex

Not true. It takes collective will and a good system. Seattle is doing well at recycling in these fast paced times. They recycle about 60%! of all trash now. And much of Europe including Paris is good at recycling. Actually all of France. They have a national recycling program. Make it simple, cheap and ubiquitous and it will happen. Why pay for expensive garbage collection when recycling is free?

anybody know if this a Huntsman product? talk all you will about kock bros. huntsman should be thinking their business?

I love to pick on the styro and poly guys. we are a subcontract mfg of insulated bags to medical industry. insulation recyclable polyester and denim. styro a thing of past eventually. imagine a box insulated with old dungarees and aluminum, well they are out there.

That is a good question begreen.Those rings are advertised as "90 day photodegradable" but real testing proves otherwise.Heck they make grocery bags that rot so fast they cannot make it from the store to my house.

Seattle and the rest of the world could be doing well at recycling but it's not true everywhere. Unfortunately the east coast does not have as good a reputation as other places. The rules are not nearly as strict as they should be here. We have trash pickup and the rule is; the recycle bin has to be out at the curb ad there has to be at least one item in it in oder to have your trash taken. It's sad but true, people actually do just that. As I said, it's a hassle to some to actually put an effort into keeping green green.
And New York City, last I knew they shipped a portion of their trash out to sea, hence the plastic soda can rings

Reactions: Doug MacIVER
We've been recycling for the past 35 years. The last 20 in a rural area. The effort is minimal. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reactions: Dune
like I've said. Hanover, Mass zero mandatory recycle mandates. hey, if you want to, ok. if not, ok. hell everything goes to semass from here and powers nastygrid. then they recycle the rest of the stuff. the town loses the recycle profit.(if there is any)

We've been recycling for the past 35 years. The last 20 in a rural area. The effort is minimal. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I wouldn't have it any other way either, I make the effort despite what this part of the country does as a whole. 15 years ago I might have put out 3 full bags of trash for a weeks worth. Today it's closer to a 1/2 bag and 2 full recycle bins. I have a clear conscience on wednesday mornings

Status
Not open for further replies.