Odd chainsaw kickback

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Perhaps this should be in the gear section....but thought I'd throw it out there. Cutting a tree the morning after the storm here I was taking a limb off the underside of a tree that was sitting about a foot off the ground. 2 inche thick limb piece about a foot or two long. had the saw turned at an angle. Saw didn't kick back, the wood did. Cut thru the branch and when it was loose it just shot my way like a rocket. Went right by my waist(crotch) and landed a good ten feet behind me. Have had things like that happen in the wood shop on the tablesaw, and router table but never with a chainsaw.

Same principle. All that force directed to a small area has to go somewhere when it gets hung up.

Yup
You have to be VERY carefull with chainsaw to begin with but I think we all tend to get a bit lax when working with limbs anb small trees.

DavidV said:
Perhaps this should be in the gear section....but thought I'd throw it out there. Cutting a tree the morning after the storm here I was taking a limb off the underside of a tree that was sitting about a foot off the ground. 2 inche thick limb piece about a foot or two long. had the saw turned at an angle. Saw didn't kick back, the wood did. Cut thru the branch and when it was loose it just shot my way like a rocket. Went right by my waist(crotch) and landed a good ten feet behind me. Have had things like that happen in the wood shop on the tablesaw, and router table but never with a chainsaw.

I once got pinned between 2 box-elders that were twisted together in the Labor Day 98 storm.
I am very lucky to be alive. My whole torso was black and blue with several large gashes.
Since then I refuse to work on trees alone.
I hired a D6 cat to take out those trees.

Was it the weight of the tree bending the branch that caused it to spring back when cut? or did the saw grab hold of the loose wood and fling it out? I've had a couple branches spring loose from the weight of the tree, but never one shoot 10 feet! Something to always be aware of, though! Good safety tip.

Corey

David,

Fwiw this is my procedure.
De-limb all limbs on the fallen tree that are not under pressure.
Clear the area of those cut limbs.
Start at the top of the tree cutting the trunk to heater length.
But stand in the opposite direction the trunk wants to move due to the pinned limb tension.
Once the piece is cut its then de-limb.
I keep the cutting area clear as I've heard too many horror stories about people tripping & getting hurt.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.