Odd smelling wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Something I am burning has an odd odor. It almost smells like a racing fuel mixed with the wood?? Some of the wood has old mushroom like growth on the bark, white in color. Could that be the culprit? My wood is mostly oak, ash, maple, cherry, dogwood or pear.

Maybe you got part of an old oak barrel used to age whiskey? ;) :)

I have noticed an off odor with ash before, any chance you are burning any locust? Locust has a bit of an odor as well. I don't know if i would describe the odors I have seen as like racing fuel, but different smells remind different people of different things.

No locust as far as I know. The smell sometimes is a little like burning garbage too??

different fungus have some putrid smells. They really shouldnt be that bad till they die off and dry up. that wetness has most of the smell. (leave mushrooms opened in your fridge sometime and youll see err smell what im talking about)
my guess is once it hits the stove same thing.

then again maybe some critter decided your stacks made a nice outhouse.

mywaynow said:
No locust as far as I know. The smell sometimes is a little like burning garbage too??
Burning garbage sounds like locust. The smell would be outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.