Odor from water to air heat exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickH

May 13, 2008
NW OH
Hello to everyone. I am in need of a help on a peculiar problem. I have a new Seton W 90 (3 weeks running). I have an exchanger in my plenum on my updraft forced air furnace. When the furnace blower is off we get an odor in the vents above the furnace. The only thing that would be different is that the temp in the exchanger increases as it sets idle. It is a hot smell almost like plastic. I have taken side panel off of plenum and checked all over the furnace. You can only smell it through the vents in the house as it is rising with the heat. Has any one encountered this? I am going to turn it down to 160 degrees to see if it helps. Thanks in advance.

I had a pretty nasty "plastic smell" for the first two days I ran my water to air HX. It was primarily from the first heating of the PEX and it hasn't really come back. Is there something plastic that is contacting the plenum close to the HX? Is your plenum getting super hot when the blower is off? I'd look around for something touching the plenum I suppose. It seems like any break-in smell should be gone well before 3 weeks of running.

Status
Not open for further replies.