1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

% of total heating home via woodburnig

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by adrpga498, Oct 23, 2009.

?

% of total heating home via woodburnig

1. 0-20

12.5%
  2. 20-40

9.4%
  3. 40-60

12.5%
  4. 60-80

65.6%
  5. 80-100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Survey:
    0 to 20%
    20 to 40
    40 to 60
    60 to 80
    80 to 100
    I know this has been discussed before but I thought I would return the survey for some of the newer members.
    My woodstove supplies 90% of my heat needs. Oil burner fires 5am for a few minutes during the coldest mornings in Jan & feb. Other wise the stove carries the load for the remainder of the day.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Wood is the only heat source except for some oil filled radiator space heaters on thermostats for emergency or away.
  3. Rockey

Rockey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Ohio
    I heat my house about 97% wood heat. Lights,appliances, etc. account for the other 3%
  4. woodjack

woodjack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Woodstock, NY
    The top half of my house gets 70% of my wood heat, the bottom half 30%.
  5. Stevebass4

Stevebass4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Franklin MA
    i would say 50% because i have a small insert -

weekends it's running all the time and a few coals to get it going in the morning but weekdays no one is here to feed it

oil burner is set to 60 and i used 160 gallons of oil last year and that includes hot water
  6. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    I would say about 80%. I use the 45 degree as my rule, if it's 45 or below by 7 PM which gives me time to do a startup fire and a decent load up before bed. We like the house around 75 degrees in the house and at 52 it's too cold not to have heat but in my opinion too warm for the fire so the propane comes on. Once it's get real cold the propane only comes on when the schedule don't permit or when I'm sicker then a dog - hopefully not this year!
  7. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    +1
    I'm always surprised how it will stay above 20 C (70 F) in our house when outside the temperature is only 9 C (48 F) without any backup heating (furnace or wood). That heat has to be coming from somewhere. (lights?, computers?, hot water tank?, cooking?)
  8. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I really didn't know where I should cast my vote. In the Summer my heat is 100% electric in floor heat. In Spring and Fall, natural gas takes the lion's share of that percentage and wood supplements depending on outdoor temperature. As it gets colder, wood takes a greater share. Last Winter I had 800 watts of electric, averaged $2 per day for gas (DHW and cooking share that) and burned around 8 cord.

What percentage should I have voted?
  9. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Solar gain? Body heat?
  10. Richardin52

Richardin52 Member

Loc:
    A farm in Maine
    100% from wood boiler since 1989 when we built no other source of heat.
  11. heatwise

heatwise Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    ohio
    80% last year, this year we hope to do better. great question. pete
  12. Joey

Joey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern USA/ Dirty Jersey/Ocean County
    its my first full winter with the new insert...hoping to get about 70 percent with wood. Natural gas makes up the other 30,,,at least I hope..
  13. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    100% wood for 4 years. A backup heat source and ridding our house of the propane fired water heater is somewhere on the to do list.
  14. JoeyD

JoeyD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Jersey
    I voted 60-80 but its probably closer to 80% or more. I'll let you all know after my second year burning.
  15. Yes Virginia

Yes Virginia Member

I am a 100% wood firelog manufacturer and it would really be interesting to see where the people who take the poll are from?
    I am from Washington state.

Thanks
    Virginia
  16. Mr. Kelly

Mr. Kelly Member

Loc:
    Northern Worcester County, MA
    Hey there...

Care to add the square footage of your house in your replies? I'm considering attempting to heat a 1500 sq.ft. saltbox, and am curious to see what others are up to!
  17. snowtime

snowtime Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern BC
    100% for the last 37 years. These EPA stoves take a little more maintenance but they sure put out the heat. We are very happy with the T6.
  18. littlesmokey

littlesmokey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mighty vistas of the Wasatch Mountains Below the s
    Boy, do I feel discriminated against, again.... What about us pelletheads? Don't we deserve a slot? You ain't bein' fair. :-S
  19. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    95% or maybe less depending on how long our -40 cold snaps will last. Burnt 120ltrs or 25 imp gallons of oil last season and 7-8 cords of evil spruce and pine.
  20. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    Actually NO!!! How can you compare the two. You are more comparable to burning oil with a little more effort.( Minus the carbon footprint of course.) Instead of a 5 gallon pail of pellets from your garage you could be going in and out of the house with a pail of oil to your furnace. A bit of a novelty isnt it? Once the power goes out of course the funs over. :shut: You asked. :lol: Now go back to your own sandbox and tell Macman and Ernest 4 I sent ya. :)
    OH ya and another thing, whats it like to scrounge for pellets, any luck?
    All in fun...
    N of 60
  21. littlesmokey

littlesmokey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mighty vistas of the Wasatch Mountains Below the s
    You're just jealous 'cause no pellets are made your way and the best stove come from Washington and you have to pay for freight on stove and fuel.
  22. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
  23. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    We're just like adrpga498...when it's real cold the propane will automatically come on at 0600. Unless of coarse the stove is cranked up by then.
  24. Pine Knot

Pine Knot Member

Loc:
    Southwest Virginia
    My wood stove supplies about 80% of my heat. More like 100% on 35-45 degree days. But as the temp. drops into the teens and twenties and lower the heat pump picks up more of the load. And of course the heat pump is less efficient at colder temps. and therefore disproportionally more expensive to operate.
  25. Ratman

Ratman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bedford, NH
    Remember, if you have a back-up and use it once it's 80-100%, not 100%.
    If you use your back-up system even a few times a year it really inflates the 100% claims / statements.
    Remember the cost/price of your back-up, although not part of the question, is not considered in the connotation when one claims 100%.

A similar statement, and even I have made this slip of the tongue, is Free Wood.
    It's never totally free. Close sometimes and nearly full price other times when all cost elements are considered.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.