Off to a good start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

countybrown

Jan 11, 2015
Wisconsin
Spent the better part of the day in the yard today. Got about half of the wood pile taken care of, with quite a bit more to go. The best part about all this wood? It was ALL FREE!

My father and father in law both took down large trees from their properties this year. Since neither one of them burn, other than campfires, they gave me dibs on all the wood. I also have a co-worker with a large homestead that offered me a few large oaks and a cherry that the county highway department cut down along the road.

All in all, about 10 face cords spilt and stacked today. Probably about the same yet to be split and stacked. Looks like I have 2016/2017 wood off to a good start.

1bd8214f5d3f282293de602ca70e0a92.jpg

92c6aa34f86b216f8415f8d70e0737f1.jpg

Looks great, free is always gooder. Do you have problems with the center stacks drying?

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Great work and the price was right too......As mentioned above, I would consider more space between rows with the next pile for much quicker drying..

Nice-lookin' stack! :cool: I've been stacking 2 rows per pallet so I can leave some space between rows. The single rows aren't as stable as that block, I wouldn't think, but Oak is some slow-drying stuff. 2 summers is pushing it unless you have a ton of wind, which I think you may in the central part of the state....

Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom guys! I guess I didn't think too much about spacing the rows out further since this pile will have at least two summers on it before I even touch it.

It's mostly maple from a gigantic tree in my parents front yard. Kind of a bittersweet thing cutting it down because I climbed that tree all the time as a kid. I figured the most respectful thing I could do was use it as much as possible and let little go to waste. The limbs/brush got chipped up and used in my mom's flower garden too. Circle of life right?

I have a bunch more maple, hickory and some box elder to split and stack yet. Maybe I'll try spacing it a bit wider on the next go around and then check them against each other to see what the moisture content looks like. Research for future stacking adventures.

Now, I just gotta go get those new pallets from my dad's shop to keep stacking away.

And Boxelder dries real quick...

I agree with your thoughts on the maple. I feel the same toward willow. Most kids have swing sets, I lived in a giant weeping willow.
Never tried T-posts with pallets, whatever goes up quick, I guess, better split and off the ground than in a pile on the lawn.!!
It should all be fine...I think the trick to all that is Volume. Keep at it....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.