Off to craigslist it goes..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

latitude45

Oct 4, 2009
petoskey, mi
www.flickr.com
I have this older VC Resolute stove I rebuild last season (dissembled, reassembled, painted). I used it for most of the season then upgraded to my Isle Royale. Thinking of giving it to my father in law or selling it on CL.. Any Idea what I could get for it?

4044115641_ff21c6bc71_b.png

Beautiful paint job you did there. If you did as nice a job with the rest of the rebuild then I'll bet that stove is in great shape and would be one of the better finds on CL when you post it.

As to what you could really get for it I imagine you would get less than you want given the time/money/love you put into fixing it up. It seems used stoves simply have a cap on their value due to the competition from new with the current stimulus rebate $'s etc.

If I were listing it I would wait until next year when the rebates have expired in hopes of an improvement in the used market. Definitely would post with nice pictures - that stove has "curb appeal" for sure!

I agree with Slow . . . nice job on the painting . . . and I suspect you did as nice a job on the rebuild.

As for a price . . . I guess it boils down to what it's worth to you for the money and time you invested . . . or whether you would like the opportunity to see it still in use at your father's house. If the stove is a good, reliable stove and your father could truly use it . . . give it to him as a small way of saying thanks to him for everything he did to you. If you need the money or don't think it would work well for your father's needs then I would say check Craigslist or similar publications in your area and see what stoves are going for . . . I see some pretty trashed looking stoves going for a good chunk of change up here . . . especially right around this time of year . . . it still blows me away to see very old, rusting stoves with an asking price of $500, $750 or more. I suspect with the VC name and that look you could get a decent amount of money to folks who would want to buy it simply for the look and the VC name.

I just checked a couple of Craiglist listings -- Hartford, CT and the entire state of Maine.

The CT listings were going for $300-$750 . . . but most were matte black, all had solid metal doors without glass and most of them were pretty rusty and beat up.

The Maine listings had two -- one for $750 which wasn't half bad looking and the infamous red one we've seen posted here which they're asking $650 for now (it was $700) -- this is the one that looks as though it had a bad case of sunburn and now has blisters all over it . . . either that or leprosy.

I would guess you should be able to get $750 for it.

latitude45 said:
I have this older VC Resolute stove I rebuild last season (dissembled, reassembled, painted). I used it for most of the season then upgraded to my Isle Royale. Thinking of giving it to my father in law or selling it on CL.. Any Idea what I could get for it?

Wow. Good job.

I have seen them listed for as much as $1,000. No idea what they actually sell for, though. Anything over $500 for that type of stove, in my view, isn't worth it no matter how nice it looks. Others on here wouldn't go nearly that high. When I get rid of the Vigilant I will list it for $400 which is what I bought it at. Clearly, yours is nicer looking. Mine is just the flat black.

Once you go over $450-500 on Craiglist you break into the newer EPA approved stoves. If I search long enough I can get a newer Jotul and could luck into a Woodstock for a few dollars more. That is how I view used stove pricing.

Good looking stove if I needed one bad $750 would be chump change. Be patient heating season coming and good used units go quick! And most first time buyers aren’t as informed as most think.

l45,

What color and brand (paint) is that? I love it!! Great job btw. Just a reference I'm selling my old Buck insert for $350. I did new gaskets and paint also.

For frame of reference, we bought our Resolute in 1979 for about $400. It's a great stove, but at 30 yrs old, I wouldn't ask over $400 for it, unless in the peak season crazies. Then, who knows, maybe $500?

Congratulations on the new stove. It should kick out some serious heat.

Thanks for all the comments!

@firefighterjake Father in law is putting in a new addition and is looking for a stove. I had though about giving him the VC but he lives in town, not sure how the neighborhood would like a non EPA stove. But still an option..

@ckarotka Stove Bright paint Mojave Red color... Painted outside with a fan! That stuff is seriously bad for you!!

I had thought to list it for $350, but now based off your comments I may start higher and see where it goes.. I picked it up for $150, it was a little rusty but in great shape.. I did put quite a few hours into refurbishing it..

One thing the resolute does need is that metal gasket material for the top loader.. Any idea where I could get some? Local stove place doesn't stock it. I had to replace the top gasket twice last winter using the fiberglass stuff... The heat on the top just destroyed it turned it to dust!

Wait a month, it will sell itself. I don't recall the gasket being unusual, but it's been so long since I replaced that gasket that I have forgotten what thickness and weight it was. Have you tried your local stove shop?

When I broke the stove down it had a metal tube type gasket around the top loader. When I went to the local stove shop to find a replacement they needed to special order it from VC for an exorbitant sum.. So I went with the white fiberglass stuff.. The fiberglass stuff worked great on the front doors but not the top.. On top It got very brittle and started coming off in chunks and turning to dust..

I did a quick google search and found this stuff.. I think im headed in the right direction...
http://www.starbrickstoves.com/acat...-_Rope_with_Wire_Jacket_-_Griddle_Gasket.html

Status
Not open for further replies.